Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been having an issue with my 2010 Chevy Cobalt. I have recently had the U Joint in my steering replaced, with a wheel alignment as well. (Not sure if this might be related). The best way I can describe the problem, is that when I am turning the steering wheel (in motion, or standstill) I hear a "clunking" noise, almost feels like there is a wire/cable that is rubbing and letting go after full turns, as if a cable/wire is getting caught on something somewhere near the steering column and then letting go. When I turn left or right, doesn't matter.

Very hard to describe or pinpoint this issue, as it happens about 80% of the time, but not ALL the time. Im not sure if my description makes any sense to anyone, but that's the best I can describe it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad upper strut mount bearing. When these go bad they bind and then release. If you put your hand on top of the strut and have someone turn the wheel you should feel the bad one kick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. Just looked at a video online and the sound is exactly that, they even showed me what was making that noise.

Thank you kindly! :) Really appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
You're welcome, looks like you came to the right place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.