1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
142 Posts
AWESOME! An AWD 240hp tubroed SS? i better start saving for that downpayment now!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sedan is a huge improvement. We bought an impractical coupe because even my wife thought the sedan was too much of a weeny car. We have 5 kids and practicality is important, but not that important. (Our G5 isn't our only car)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I hate seeing concept cars, i dont see why they would make it AWD 240 HP when the New SS's that are coming out are at the 260 hp 260 tq mark

·
Registered
869 Posts
I hate seeing concept cars, i dont see why they would make it AWD 240 HP when the New SS's that are coming out are at the 260 hp 260 tq mark
Maybe because its AWD? Which is a huge gain over FWD. Plus they probably worked out a new tranny so that its not maxed out when you first get it, and they may have stage kits for this one. Theres alot more to consider than just bare numbers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Nah . i understand why they would make it AWD.. what i ment is why are they losing just about 20 hoarses ? especially since it is going to be a newer model you think they would want to increase the numbers if anything but then again maybe they kept the numbers reasonable for economy as well

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
they lose the 20 hp due to the setup. an AWD has a rear driveshaft and differential, and you lose power in the u-joints connecting it all.

As for the supercar, it's a tuner sub-compact, of course they want to outperform.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, like everyone is saying, AWD you will lose some power. And theres a 6 speed in the car now, which means a new trans which will hopfully mean a easier ECU to play with and Stage kits for the cobalt. Which will then mean more power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if that 6-speed will bolt up to the current Balts, if so I may just look for a wrecked one, cause you know someone somewhere, is gonna think they're god and go way to fast on a slippery road and crash. anyway, I hate to wish that on someone, but its just the natural order of things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder if that 6-speed will bolt up to the current Balts, if so I may just look for a wrecked one, cause you know someone somewhere, is gonna think they're god and go way to fast on a slippery road and crash. anyway, I hate to wish that on someone, but its just the natural order of things.
If/When that ever happends, i call dibs on the wheels and cloth seats lol

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
they lose the 20 hp due to the setup. an AWD has a rear driveshaft and differential, and you lose power in the u-joints connecting it all.

As for the supercar, it's a tuner sub-compact, of course they want to outperform.
No the drivetrain has nothing to do with there advertised HP rating. 240hp is at the crank not at the wheels. But the WHP would be much lower because of the AWD.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
If ya want a 6-speed, I believe Qaulife or whatever makes one that well work. I could of read something wrong but I swore it said 6-spd. Not that it matters, I would only get one if the gearing for the first 5 gears was like the 5-spd, the 6-spd would just be like an extra overdrive for hwy driving, like any 6-spd to begin with, but usually cause of that the lower gears suffer or hender acceleration some.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If it was an AWD, the transmission wouldnt fit into our humble econo-boxes simply due to the fact that an AWD motor/trans set-up is front to back, just like an RWD, versus our transverse mounted FWD set-up. It just simply wont fit

·
Registered
446 Posts
One thing I am definitely curious about is what are the specifications for the new GM delta II platform that the new cobalt is supposed to be built on. I haven't heard much about any of the details for it. Ex: Are we going to be using a torsion bar in the rear with semi-independent suspension, or are we looking a full blown independent rear suspension; that would be cool and interesting to have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.