Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need some help, please. I changed the brake shoes (rear) and replaced with Powerstop shoes. Everything looks identical to the pictures I took before removal. However, there is an extreme crunching, squeaking sound when the car moves on both sides, so something is definitely wrong. My father looked at it too, and we just don't see any way to move forward, other than putting the old ones back on. There is still some life left in the old ones. Car has about 130k and has presented no problems whatsoever. Does anyone see any obvious mistakes in the pictures? Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Take a look at the rear shoe. It’s not set correctly on the slave cylinder. Are you certain you have the rear shoe in the rear position? They use to color code the shoes with the darker shoe to the rear and the lighter colored shoe to the front.

then againdepending on the mfg they are interchangeable. Yet they still must fit into the slots for the pivot at the bottom and the slave cylinder at the top

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks T-Bird! I straightened the pad on the cylinder. I also discovered that the adjusters had slipped down (can see it in the pics). I put washers on the lugs, inside the hub, to shim it for just a little more clearance, and the car is quiet now and seems to be braking well. It's been a fantastic car and I hope this solves the issue. I appreciate your reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts