Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
duck season, rabbit season, MPG SEASON!!!!!

The warmer weather is upon us, and especially in the south the mpg numbers are going up. The "Eco driving" season is here!!! So post up what you get this summer.

Here is my first one. I wish I had thought to take a "fuel range" pic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
nice avg mpg, im still below 20 mpgs, but i average about 17 mph, lots of stop n go, so i guess thats not 2 bad. my previous vehicle got less than 10 mpg average, the balt is a huge improvement 4 me in more ways than mpgs...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have definately noticed improvement in the past couple of weeks.

I'm trying for my first 50 mpg tank for the year.

I'll probably fall a little short, especialy if I keep hitting the snooze alarm in the morning. ;P

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a Hyundai Tucson Limited prototype with a 6-speed manual this week... The thing is so slow that it can barely get out of its own way. Hi there, sub-20mpg :laugh:

Pretty pathetic when I'm looking forward to getting back into my turbocharged car for the fuel economy, huh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea the warm weather works wonders, just this weekend I got this with about 400lbs of extra weight.

Avg - 87 Km/h -- 54MPH
Dist - 253.9 Km -- 157.8 Miles
Eco - 5.4L/100Km -- 45.6 MPG

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yea, it just took an extra tank.
The tank I was on when I posted I was going for 50+ ended up being 49.91.

My work comute is all county roads with either 45 or 55 mph limits and little traffic and plenty of passing opertunities so I don't end up slowing anyone else up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yea, it just took an extra tank.
The tank I was on when I posted I was going for 50+ ended up being 49.91.

My work comute is all county roads with either 45 or 55 mph limits and little traffic and plenty of passing opertunities so I don't end up slowing anyone else up.
have you done any modifications to your car to achieve those mpg or is it all good driving habits? Im planning on just getting a simple drop in K&N filter within the next week or so but i was wondering if there is anything else (on the cheap) i can do to get better mileage

·
Registered
219 Posts
I still have stock airbox and filter and I'm not too sure changing it to a "high flow" filter will make much change.

My tires are at sidewall max when warmed up and I have my lower grill blocked off with plexiglass.

You will see better results from changing how you drive then from modding your car though.

I've improved my mpg by somewhere between 3 - 5 mpg with increased air pressure and the partial grill block but I've improved my mpg by 10+ mpg by simply changing driving habits.
First thing anyone should change when looking to get better mpg is "adjust the nut behind the wheel".

·
Registered
156 Posts
theres a nut behind the wheel you can adjust? hmmm i wonder where that is... lol, never heard that one before

wouldnt the plexi over your lower grill cut airflow to your rad and engine? i would think that would be bad for a car (unless its winter i guess)

and no the "high flow" filter doesnt really do much for efficiency but the life time guarantee and not having to change the filter (only hose it off and re-oil it every once in a while) makes them worth the money

·
Registered
311 Posts
Maintain the engine and keep the tires properly inflated.

Anticipate traffic flow to maintain the distance between the person in front of you without braking.

Use detergent gasoline.

Keep to the speed limit.

Use the shift indicator as much as possible.

Use hills and inclines to let off the gas or take it out of gear.

Keep the windows up and use the vent fan.

Go light on the gas pedal all the time.

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The cars coolant system is designed for worst case scenarios (Death Valley at rush hour with the A/C on while pulling a trailer).

As long as the runing temps stay below where the radiator fan kicks on you are fine.
Even with the lower grill blocked my coolant temps don't go above 200 degrees when it's 90 F out and usualy hang around 192 - 195.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing... DO NOT block off your lower grill if you have an auto transmission. This can cause your transmission fluid to overheat and destroy your trans...

Also a K&N filter will not help mpg. Fr3AkAzOiD is pulling so little air in the engine when driving that it does not matter how much the air filter can deliver. Also the more air you put into an engine the more gas the car has to put in to keep the air fuel mix the same. K&N's HP gains from their high flow air filters are well documented, but no mpg claims have been proven, in fact if you read their site VERY carefully they use words like could and may... They do not even outright promise better mpg.

It boils down to this... Any engine modifications you do that increase power will hurt mpg. You cannot have it both ways.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.