Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 xfe with 100,700 miles ran hot and water started showing up in the oil. Pulled the head expecting a blown gasket but found small gaps between the cylinders where the block appeared to have busted and the pieces fell down. There were no signs of leaking around the gasket but it seems like just replacing the engine will be the best option. From what I've gathered, I'll need to find one from a 09-10 with vvt. I've found a few, lower mileage HHRs that are relatively close. Can anyone tell me if a 09-10 HHR engine will work or will I need to find another Cobalt? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone please help? Purchased a salvage yard engine supposedly from an 09, from what I've gathered it has to be an 09-10 from a Cobalt or hhr due to vct addition in 09. First, the throttle body wouldn't fit on the "new" engine so we pulled the intake to replace with my old one. Secondly, due to oil in the "new" intake the thought was that the pcv needed cleaning or replaced with my old valve cover as mine was clean when removed. The valve cover doesn't match up and there's two solenoids on top of the head of my existing that do not exist on the replacement. Guess they sold me an older engine? Will call tomorrow about a refund but still looking for input. I bought the car about three years ago as a rebuilt title with only 18k on the clock for 5500, just can't justify a new or rebuild engine for over 3k. Thanks in advance to anyone that will reply.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would stick with a 09-10 cobalt engine, the HHR has a similar engine and it may work in a cobalt with no issues BUT the 09+ 2.2 HHR has an e85 Flex fuel engine. Again, it may work but I’m not positive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 09-10 cobalt has the engine code LAP. The 09-11 HHR has the engine code LE8. I have a feeling it wouldn’t be plug and play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply. I believe I found my car's code inside the trunk. Is there any way to find the code with the engine out of the car?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can’t recall if there is a way to actually tell. The factory stamped a partial vin on the engine and transmission case but I’m not sure if it reveals enough digits to identify which engine code it is. Look below the oil filter area, it’s kind of hidden but where the engine and transmission bolt together there is a flat surface where part of the vin was stamped. Without actually tearing the engine apart there might not be a definite way to tell which engine it is.

The fuel rail should have a sticker with a long number on it. Also the fuel injectors will have a GM number on them. The e85 flex fuel vehicles used a different fuel injector so that is one way to help identify which engi you have. Is these part number on the intake or throttle body? I can’t remember if there is or isn’t, that would also help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts