Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
^^^^^^^ yup ^^^^^^^

I agree, that gunk you put into the cooling system is more trouble than its worth. You risk plugging up the radiator and/or the heater core. Replacing a head gasket is not a cheap repair either. The last time I had one done on my 94 Cavalier, it was around $1200 to do. Gotta take the whole top end of the engine apart and then send the head out to a machine shop to be milled. An oil change is mandatory and the spark plugs may need to be replaced as well.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Only needs to be milled if you let it overheat.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'll be changing mine soon but not because it's bad! 1200 bucks for a shop to do it? that's ridiculous

·
Registered
289 Posts
The ONLY thing I'd use (have used) is Blue Devil. If you follow the directions to a "T" it works. Expensive, but comes with a money back guarentee....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Any of those fast fix products like stop leak are effective at stopping the leak in the hadgasket or radiator, but they also stop a ton of other stuff you don't want them to stop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Only needs to be milled if you let it overheat.
I thought that milling the head was SOP then again I am not a mechanic. The first head gasket replacement I did on my 94 Cavalier was not the result of an overheat and the mechanic said that the head had to be sent out to be milled to ensure that it was true. The second time was the result of an overheat due to a catastrophic failure of the water pump and the head had to be sent out to be milled due to warpage.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I'll be changing mine soon but not because it's bad! 1200 bucks for a shop to do it? that's ridiculous
Dont forget that it takes alot of work (and time) to take apart the top end of the engine. Part of that cost is likely due to the 94 Cavalier having the old pushrod 4cyl so you have to disconnect and reconnect the pushrods to the valves and make sure the valves are set correctly. The overhead cams on the Cobalt I imagine are alot easier to work with.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I thought that milling the head was SOP then again I am not a mechanic. The first head gasket replacement I did on my 94 Cavalier was not the result of an overheat and the mechanic said that the head had to be sent out to be milled to ensure that it was true. The second time was the result of an overheat due to a catastrophic failure of the water pump and the head had to be sent out to be milled due to warpage.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Dont forget that it takes alot of work (and time) to take apart the top end of the engine. Part of that cost is likely due to the 94 Cavalier having the old pushrod 4cyl so you have to disconnect and reconnect the pushrods to the valves and make sure the valves are set correctly. The overhead cams on the Cobalt I imagine are alot easier to work with.
They certainly are, you can leave all the valvetrain intact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.