Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting the 4 disk breaks but how do i go about losing the drums and switchin to disks without having to jump to 5 lug?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you sir, are a trooper! thankyou very much

·
Registered
79 Posts
just curious...do disc brakes give u better stopping power than drum?

·
Banned
161 Posts
actually no.. in the rain drums are ftw. disc are good but they run a little cooler under heavy load.."nascar, open wheel"
but for every day driving you are wasting money

·
Registered
135 Posts
just curious...do disc brakes give u better stopping power than drum?
actually no.. in the rain drums are ftw. disc are good but they run a little cooler under heavy load.."nascar, open wheel"
but for every day driving you are wasting money
Actually yes, disks are better than drums. Disks are superior to drums specifically because they have a larger surface area. That surface area allows for greater cooling capacity and generally a larger pad to rotor contact area. However for everyday driving you would be wasting your money switching to 4 wheel disks. The factory setup handles the road just fine.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Actually yes, disks are better than drums. Disks are superior to drums specifically because they have a larger surface area. That surface area allows for greater cooling capacity and generally a larger pad to rotor contact area. However for everyday driving you would be wasting your money switching to 4 wheel disks. The factory setup handles the road just fine.
you basically said what i said but in more detail

·
Registered
561 Posts
Also disks are better cause they have less moving parts and dont get out of adjustment as easy. Drum brakes require you to drive backwards and hit your brakes hard to adjust them. A large percentage of drivers are driving around with their drum brakes out of adjustment. disks are just plain and simple ......superior...That isnt just some guys opinion, Im a mechanic and deal with drum brakes all the time....they suck.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Also disks are better cause they have less moving parts and dont get out of adjustment as easy. Drum brakes require you to drive backwards and hit your brakes hard to adjust them. A large percentage of drivers are driving around with their drum brakes out of adjustment. disks are just plain and simple ......superior...That isnt just some guys opinion, Im a mechanic and deal with drum brakes all the time....they suck.
not to mention how much of a pain in the rear the parts are, both to install, and pricewise. I find it cheaper buying a new rotor and pads for one wheel of the car, than having to buy the new drum, pads, and SEPARATE hardware for the rear of a drum car

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
arent the drums part of the axel or effect how the axel is made? I havent done my brakes yet, so i dont know. plus the back doesnt do much stopping anyway. I'd say just go for bigger brakes in the front if you need the stopping power. But again I'm a car Nublet. :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
arent the drums part of the axel or effect how the axel is made? I havent done my brakes yet, so i dont know. plus the back doesnt do much stopping anyway. I'd say just go for bigger brakes in the front if you need the stopping power. But again I'm a car Nublet. :D
i would pay to see someone throw big enough brakes on the front of a cobalt to make a difference, and still fit the wheel on, lol

the rear brakes do not affect how the axle is made, but they are part of the axle, that is right. If you wanted to change from rear drums, to disc, it really isnt all that hard, it usually uses the original hub assy, the rear plate, and the mount holes for the e-brake pads.

parking brake shoes

disc brake setup

Note* the two diagrams above were for a toyota cressidia. Only used to illustrate the setup of the rear disc brakes

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i would pay to see someone throw big enough brakes on the front of a cobalt to make a difference, and still fit the wheel on, lol
thank you, you got me one step closer to understanding how my car works, and being less of a nub. and gave me a nice laugh too.

I also proved why I'm a nublet, and why i joined this site.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
thank you, you got me one step closer to understanding how my car works, and being less of a nub. and gave me a nice laugh too.
i try my best to do what i can

·
Registered
135 Posts

the rear brakes do not affect how the axle is made, but they are part of the axle, that is right. If you wanted to change from rear drums, to disc, it really isnt all that hard, it usually uses the original hub assy, the rear plate, and the mount holes for the e-brake pads.
Actually the rear trailing arm is different between disk and drum models.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Actually the rear trailing arm is different between disk and drum models.
with models between 2005-2007. the 08 models supposedly have the same rear trailing arms shared between all the models.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its possible they are using the disk trailing arm on the drum cars which in theory should work. According to Chevrolet website the 2008 models are still split LS/LT with rear drum and the "Sport"/SS with rear disk. Guess we'd need a parts guy to run a cross-reference to see for sure.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Its possible they are using the disk trailing arm on the drum cars which in theory should work. According to Chevrolet website the 2008 models are still split LS/LT with rear drum and the "Sport"/SS with rear disk. Guess we'd need a parts guy to run a cross-reference to see for sure.
honestly, i dont see any difference in the trailing arms between the two models, and i do believe you can get the 4 **** setup on the LT, as an added feature(so i have been told)

If there are any parts guys out there from the dealership that can help, we need it.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
funny, because my rear trailing arm on my 4 wheel disc car matched the one that says without 4 wheel disc.........hmmm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.