Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2010 Cobalt LT with the 4 lug hubs, I want the get the SS wheels but those are 5 lug. How hard would it be to covert my 4 lug to a 5 lug setup? Is it as easy as buying the 5 lug hubs and installing them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not hard to do. Literally did it on my Ion in a day.
I have an SS parts car, so I took the rear beam and brakes.
Front I swapped the hubs and brakes over.
Not running as my rear calipers were seized. So waiting on my new ones to come in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you don’t mind drum brakes, find an HHR at a junkyard and take the hub assemblies, front and rear brakes. For the fronts you’ll need the calipers, brackets, dust shields, and rotors. For rear get the drums, all the springs and hardware, and backing plates. Not sure but I think the brake hoses on the Cobalt will work. If not they’re cheap to get. I would recommend getting new wheel cylinders and not try reusing old ones. I’d almost just recommend new calipers as well. But they may be expensive for anti corrosion coated ones. If you are to get everything new you’ll spend at least $600 using decent stuff. Maybe more. And ordering online, the shipping may get expensive unless you order from Amazon.

If rear disks are what you really want, you’ll need the rear beam axle from something like a Cobalt SS. I never find any with rear disks at the junkyards, so probably would have to source a new axle.

I’ve been thinking of doing the 5 lug swap since I got my Cobalt. If I decide to do it I’ll try and find as much as I can at the local Pull-A-Part, using the stuff from an HHR. By that point I’ll have to decide on aftermarket wheels or something 17” or 18” from a Cobalt or HHR. I don’t know and exact amount, but buying the parts together at the junkyard I like has the benefit of lowering the total price since they will group items together when checking out. So I’m probably looking at around $90-$120 for the swap, minus new pads and shoes which I’d rather get new. And depending on the condition of the front rotors, I can machine them and the drums. New ones aren’t too expensive.

Wheels and tires will probably be more than doing the swap itself. Be aware the drum brakes use a W shaped spring and can be a real pain to get it back into place. It’s the type GM uses a lot. But really if you’re used to doing this type of work, you can get it done all in one day. I still need to get a new abs motor for my car, so I’d probably do it at the same time.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2010 Cobalt LT with the 4 lug hubs, I want the get the SS wheels but those are 5 lug. How hard would it be to covert my 4 lug to a 5 lug setup? Is it as easy as buying the 5 lug hubs and installing them?

Thanks!
why so much interest in swaping to 5 lug? 4x100 has so many better choices for wheen then 5x110.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can’t fit the fat SS wheels for one. There’s a start. Haha. There is just something crappy about having four lug. Even when I had my old Honda, I always wanted to convert it to five lug. It was a no go on my 3rd gen Accord though. I did manage to do a rear disk conversion.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wanted to 5 lug swap my LS Cobalt years ago, but it wasn't worth it to me. Then when I was looking for wheels the selection of 5x110 is rough, all the good wheel would have to be redrilled or custom ordered.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I honestly haven’t looked at what’s available in the 5x100 pattern. I had some in mind from fifteen52 though. And really for my LT, it’ll be slower if I go bigger anyways. Not to mention the problem with potholes I’d have.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I honestly haven’t looked at what’s available in the 5x100 pattern. I had some in mind from fifteen52 though. And really for my LT, it’ll be slower if I go bigger anyways. Not to mention the problem with potholes I’d have.
I don't see it being slower. If you have 195-55-15s thats very similar in overall diameter as 225-45-17s or 225-40-18s. Also typically any good aftermarket wheels worth buying are lighter then stock wheels reducing rotational mass.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I didn’t think about the 5 lug on these cars being 5x100. I suppose a more common spacing is 5x114.

Anyways, I’ve been wondering how the hell this guy put C4 wheels on a Sonic. Maybe bolt on adapters? I suppose I could do that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry just saw all these, probably going to not do it then if it's going to run me that much. The only reason I wanted to 5 lug swap was to put the SS wheels on it because I like them. Thanks for all your input though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh yeah it’s not super cheap. Junk yard parts and it will be fairly inexpensive, but not if you are going to rear disk.

I wish I could find the guy with the Sonic and ask him about the Corvette wheels. I think if it’s been done with bolt on adapters, the studs will have to be cut short to clear the back of the wheels. And to go back to stock you’d have to pop some new studs in. Also the adapters are going to be a little expensive. I’ll have to see what that’s all about. I’ve seen Hondas with them in the past. I can’t recall any customers with them though so I haven’t seen them on cars. My friend has bolt on spacers on his Ram and they’re pretty solid. Had a look at those when I was replacing his axle bearings a few weeks ago.

Actually I have seen them at the shop, but again on a truck. It was a dually with 8 lug to 10 lug to fit 22.5” wheels like on an 18 wheeler.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the cobalt 5 lug is 5x110 not 5x100

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sorry just saw all these, probably going to not do it then if it's going to run me that much. The only reason I wanted to 5 lug swap was to put the SS wheels on it because I like them. Thanks for all your input though.
some companies offer brake conversion kits, check out ZZperformance.com

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had most of it sitting here and was given the wheels, still almost in it $300. Well 500 if you count the tires. But I needed those anyway.
Not cheap to do. I personally think its worth it.
But my rear torsion bushings were crap and that was the main reason to do the swap. Didnt wanna pay a shop to pull the rear beam and press bushings in, etc etc

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had these wheels in mind. The 17s from the HHR. I believe it was an LTZ that had these type, also had the 2.4 and raspy factory exhaust. I have yet to see them at the junkyard, I always find steel wheels on the HHRs. They looked really clean and sporty. I had thought they were SS wheels but later realized they are definitely not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Believe those are the ss/na 2.4 wheels for the balts
I finished my swap yesterday. Calipers came early. Car feels great. A little heavier. But not sure if its the wheels or the rear torsion beam in the back seat

·
Registered
155 Posts
Any pics along the way? Now you make me want to do it. And I’m not really sure about the 2.4 SS wheels. I think they were different, and spokes are shapes like the 2.0 SS. I just like the ones on the HHR, they’re a little slimmer on the spoke design.

If I happen to find an axle with disk brakes, I’ll be sure to get it. But haven’t seen anything. Although I can buy all the parts new, but it’ll set a project like this back well over $800 for sure. Maybe more with premium quality parts. Unless I happen to find someone parting and SS out locally, which is probably not going to happen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Base model ion. Sponsored by duck tape and pvc.

The wheels need to be refinished as they were sitting in the back of a field for like 3 years. They look like crap. And new tires are going on Monday morning.

Overall wasnt hard to do. I spent more time on rusty brake lines than anything else.

Where are you located? I may be getting an hhr ss parts car next week. I say parts car. But dude doesnt know whats wrong with it. Sounded like it shot a rod though. I'll probably be parting it out if i can't fix it for under 500

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a red Ion redline with the stock wheels. I had them on my Sedan SS for a few days while I had my LNF wheel painted. Also the HHR LT wheels a re slighly different fromt he 2.4 Cobalt wheels. The 2.4 cobalt's were more like the SS/SC slightly different color and 17" instead of 18"

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live in South Texas. I haven’t seen many SS Cobalts or HHRs in recent years. Used to see them everywhere. Same with the Ion Redlines, far and few between these days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts