Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congressional plans to fund a massive health-care overhaul could have a job-killing effect on New York, creating a tax rate of nearly 60 percent for the state's top earners and possibly pressuring small-business owners to shed workers.

New York's top income bracket could reach as high as 57 percent -- rates not seen in three decades -- to pay for the massive health coverage proposed by House Democrats this week.

The top rate in New York City, home to many of the state's wealthiest people, would be 58.68 percent, the Washington-based Tax Foundation said in a report yesterday.

That means New York's top earners, small-business owners and most dynamic entrepreneurs will be facing new fees and penalties.

The $544 billion tax hike would violate one of President Obama's ironclad campaign promises: No family will pay higher tax rates than they would have paid in the 1990s.

·
Registered
455 Posts
i work construction in the city for my father's company sometimes. getting paid $15/HR 50 hours a week i should have made big bucks. throw in taxes, gas, food, and parking down there, i made less than $4/HR. this is gonna kill businesses like my father's. nothing like working 60 hour weeks to give 31 of them to the government!

·
Registered
455 Posts
exactly. my problem is how most people hear wealthy and they think of people who never work and are worth millions. But thats such a small percentage. Guys like my father work 60-70 hours a week to keep his business up and running, and would be classified as wealthy. it screws over the little guy who made something of himself.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Here in MN the healthcare field just got hit with a 20% budget cut which took over 200million out of the hospitals pockets. In 2007 the hospital I work at gave out over 90million dollars in free medical now with people not being approved for healthcare more and more now my employer will end up paying more money than ever with less than ever. Thank you Tim Pawlenty and you giving all the money to k-12

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
That tax is targets people like the Clintons and the Kennedys. Even small businesses would not be drastically effected. That tax is to make the uber rich taxes more equitable to everyone else as they have all sort of tax breaks and such

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corporations are already double taxed. The majority of small businesses will fit into this category as well.

Keep in mind these tax increases are to fund the national health care system. On top of the increase in taxes, the businesses will be *required* to offer health care benefits to their employee's. If they don't, then they pay additional taxes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That tax is targets people like the Clintons and the Kennedys. Even small businesses would not be drastically effected. That tax is to make the uber rich taxes more equitable to everyone else as they have all sort of tax breaks and such
no offense bro, but your completely wrong with that. small businesses are really getting screwed. in NY the tax is applied to anyone making over 350,000 a year. Idk how much you know about NYC, but that is nothing. My father owns a small construction company down there. He easily pulls 350,000 a year, but most of that goes back into the business. Now that is gonna get pulled away from him, meaning it cant feed the business. That means the business has to lay people off. Which results in less jobs for everyone. The Clintons and Kennedys will get hit, but they wont even feel it. All it does is nail the people who are "living the American dream"

·
Registered
317 Posts
its not just in new york, my stepfather is going to be looking at over 50 percent in taxes and he lives in ohio...... i think that i am moving to canada..... nah i want to go to australia its warmer

·
Registered
653 Posts
Here we have had a tax increase proposal its refered to as 1 to 1 or something like that 1% to the top 1% of residents in MN. It comes out to just barely 109$ a year more from them and we would have been able to save our health care cuts but instead T.Pawlenty cuts 20% = to almost 200 million dollars out of the health care budget and gives it to k-12, I mean because the top 1% of the wealthiest here in MN won't give another $109 a year more my dad can't get health care. My dad just barely made the list for MN health care a few years ago when he had Lymphoma for the second time. So heres what it boils down to. Insurance companies are making it harder to get health care because they, denying people more and more. Plus people have no money to pay for health care. So they aren't going to be able to pay there bills. People can't pay there bills so the hospital pays it for them BUT the hospital can't pay them because our budget for health care keeps going down. To make up for it the hospitals are making budget cuts. Guess how. LAY OFFS! Then what people get thrown through the system all over again.

If my dad were to get Lymphoma again which he most likely will and then die from it. He would never be able to get insurance coverage. In 2006-2007 Allina health systems gave 90 million in free health care in Minnesota. My dad had an 80k bill for Chemo and what not from Lymphoma. His bill was 6k because Allina took care of it because he couldn't get coverage. In this day and age my dad would never be able to get health care and Allina lost 56m from the 200m budget cut. Thanks to T.Pawlenty and the other ass ****s that don't want to pay a small amount more in taxes my father would be dead or suffering on his death bed. Instead of rolling around in a hummer H3 maybe help out the people that got you the H3. I am sure the money was made some how off of the people in the community.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.