Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Fuel filter if you haven't changed it yet. Cabin air filter if you haven't changed it yet.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Tranny fluid, check brakes and suspension parts.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
On an auto I changed mine every 60 or so

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm actually at the dealership right now and they were gonna charge me $400 ish to do the brakes, air filter, oil change, and radiator/power steering fluid flush, hell I can do all that stuff myself so they're only gonna do oil change

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yeah, my friend blew her alternator the other day. The shop wanted 400+. I bought the alternator and had it installed in an hour for 140 just on the part. Screw shops!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
People can feel free to disagree, but I'd never leave any fluid in my car for 100K.

My reading has led me to the belief that time and heat will make your fluid less effective at a chemical level (fluid does far more than just lubricate). In addition, increased service intervals will allow you to visually check seals and take a look at what (or more importantly, what's not) in the pan/filter.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^Correct, manuals arent as bad because the fluid is not being used the same. For an auto you need to be changing the fluid and filter every 60k, check your owners manual it should give you an interval close to that.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Trans fluid is listed at 100k.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have no doubt in my mind you could do this. It's on par with the air filter. I'll look at what sized wrench it is, but you basically just undo 2 pinch fittings with your fingers, push in the wrench on the other side and you're done. Just be ready to have a little gas squirt out. It was the first thing I ever did with a car.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I changed a headgasket on my 84 Toyota Van. I don't think working on my Cobalt is any more intimidating. I try to do whatever myself to save money. I'm not spending $500 for Les Schwab to do my front brakes when I can do them myself for under $200. I had been spending $70 to get my oil changed since I use synthetic. Now I only pay about $35 because I do it myself. I have around 61,000 miles now. Everytime I did get my oil changed, they recommended a transmission flush. I don't plan on replacing my spark plug's 'til about 100,000 miles. I'm sure my transmission can wait 'til then also.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It's worth it to at least look at your plugs. My car has 118k km on it and I checked mine and found two plugs (2,4) to be gapped at .065" and they're supposed to be 0.043".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Iv got a maintenance schedule for you

Every 250 miles

CHECK oil,coolant,break,clutch,washer,power steering,and tire pressure

Every 3,000 miles

CHANGE oil,oil filter

EVERY 6,000 miles

INSPECT wipers,battery,cooling system,break system
ROTATE tires
CHECK seat belts ????

EVERY 15,000 miles

REPLACE cabin filter
CHECK all underhood hoses,exhaust system,fuel system,engine drivebelts
INSPECT the suspension, steering components,and driveaxel boots

EVERY 30,000

CHECK Air filter
SERVICE cooling system (drain,flush and fill)
CHANGE break fluid

EVERY 100,000

REPLACE auto transaxle fluid,fuel filter,spark plugs.

OK... there we go, that should help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.