Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back in Michigan now but just came back from Boston visiting my girlfriend. She has a 94 red Miata convertible that she drives occasionally in the summertime.

I worked on it a little last weekend trying to get it started for her with no luck. I'm going back on the 13th with some tools and expect to get it started up. She told me it could me my project car :) It needs a little TLC but it's in good shape. I think it's either a fuse or some other electrical issue.

It is going to be fun to work on! I joined a Miata forum for some help.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Does it turn? They are notorious for timing belts snapping.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it turn? They are notorious for timing belts snapping.
Nope. Dead. Nothing works but the headlights pop up and come on. Turn signals, HVAC, radio, everything is dead and nothing turns over. Nothing but silence.

The battery is all charged up and I verified it is supplying around 13 volts.

There is an 80 amp fuse that it goes to and I am going to check that first.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
good luck with it, my housemate has a 94 too with 165k on it. Runs great, just needs an suspension update haha. They are fun cars no doubt. Great racers, not drifters though as the wheel base is just not good enough(long). You can get 'em side ways but eh, get a 240 for that crap :).

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

What miata forum you join? There is about 100000

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good luck with it, my housemate has a 94 too with 165k on it. Runs great, just needs an suspension update haha. They are fun cars no doubt. Great racers, not drifters though as the wheel base is just not good enough(long). You can get 'em side ways but eh, get a 240 for that crap :).

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

What miata forum you join? There is about 100000
MX-5 Miata Forum

I just wanted it running so I can see my beautiful girlfriend in a hot red convertible and watch all the jealous guys checking her out :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
lol, when Miata's get on the track you can hear the anouncer say something like "and heres another Miata, I assume it's red, I'm not even going to look becuase everyone knows all Miata's are red!" Love to hate!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll post a pic of this one some day. I know she just got a new rag top put on it last year. I will probably be saving her money on this thing because she takes it up to the Miata dealership for everything. It wouldn't start and she said she was going to get it towed up to the dealership. I talked her into giving me some time to troubleshoot it first. They don't really look that hard to work on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got back yesterday from Boston. It took my about 10 minutes to replace that 80 amp fuse and then the car started right up. So 10 minutes and $3.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
See, it's much better to start with the simplest/cheapest things first! :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:thanks
See, it's much better to start with the simplest/cheapest things first! :)
You said it. The simplest is usually the correct one. If not , what have you lost, just move on the the next likely candidate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.