Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
so about this time last year i topped of my fiance's cobalt with freon only(no oil, when i used to be an autoparts slinger i was always told never add oil to the a/c system unless you are doing a complete drain), it had a slight leak from what i can tell, the coldness of the a/c was very weak. so fast forward to last week now, she had said the a/c was weak again. i got my can of freon and my gauge and had her crank the a/c to max. the gauge was coming up low, i filled it until it was in the acceptable range and voila the a/c is pumping out ice cold air again. Pumped out the ice cold air until Friday. I hit the a/c button and the compressor is not kicking on. The blower motor still blows strong and works on all settings so its not a blower motor issue.

I checked the a/c related fuses, the fuses looked good but i replaced them just in case, still no good. I then drove the car and made it heat up to 223 degrees when the fans kick on to make sure the fans were still operating. The fans kicked on right at 223 just as it should. Next i'm going to replace the a/c clutch relay and hope that this fixes it. If that does not fix it, what else i should look at next? i know enough to be dangerous with a/c issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You might have overcharged the system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not overcharged according to the gauge, i suppose the gauge could be off? i swapped relays with the fuel pump relay since they are the same to see if the relay was bad. both activated the fuel pump so the relay checks out. When i hit the a/c button in the car, it lights up as if it is turned on, not sure if that rules out a bad connection with the actual switch itself. The guy at the autoparts store said something about a low pressure switch, if it was faulty it may not realize that i filled the system. Is there a way to test that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just took my daughters' to Firestone today and it was overcharged. Cold worked intermittently and then blew warm/hot. For $22.00(with an online coupon) they checked it, drained it and put in fresh freon with dye. I would at least let someone check it out before replacing parts that may not need replacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.