Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Having some issues with my A/C as of last summer. Tried to put freon in it and that did nothing, It blows maybe 80 degrees on a good day. Im think the compressor is still good. it still kicks on. Anyone have any ideas of where to start to find the issue?

·
Registered
340 Posts
You probably have a leak somewhere...they'll have to run a leak test to determine where, unless you have the ability. Sometimes these can be hard to trace...similar to electrical...best to pay the piper.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you recharge your a/c system with freon (bottled goodies from local parts store) and notice the cold goes away, then you have a leak. Your A/C system is sealed from factory. I would get a bottle that has a dye additive and stick a flourescent bulb 2-3" away from all of your system and check for leaks. It will shine where the leak is. Ensure you run from the compressor through the high pressure side-H Block (TXV)-low pressure side-muffler (there is a muffler on your a/c system believe it or not), back to the compressor again.
If you have a friend around, pop your hood and start the car. Have him monitor where the compressor is and tell each other when a/c is "on" and "off". See if he notices the tri shaped object inside the pulley moves or not. That can determine easily if your compressor is the cause too. Our cobalts use a modern wobble plate type.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. I tried to put freon in it lat year, it didn't get cold at all but the compressor still kicked on. Hopefully my brother is off on Thursday so we can look at it after school.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.