Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local dealership today and they had their first 3 Cruzes on the lot. A rep from GM corporate was teaching the salesmen a class on the Cruze.

I found out a couple of interesting facts about the Cruze LS.

1. The Cruze LS comes with a 1.8 NA motor run with a TIMING BELT instead of a chain. :amazed:

2. The belt must be replaced at 100,000 miles and is not rated any further.

3. The belt replacement is $1,200.00.

4. The 1.8 NA motor, and I had to push him to get him to admit this, IS AN INTERFERENCE MOTOR. For those that do not know that means if the belt breaks the pistons WILL hit the valves, and it will puke the motor.

I said to corporate rep... " Congratulations, you have recreated the Dodge Neon" and walked away.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
bwaahahahahaahaaaaa!!!!!!!

these cars are toyota's with a chevy badge.

just like the aveo, Korean crap with a chevy badge.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In all fairness I must point out that all the 1.4 turbo cars have timing chains. They also make peak torque at an amazing 1850 rpm. The new ECO Cruze also EPAs at 42 mpg hwy, so the Cruze is not a total loser, but I would never own an LS.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I noticed other money saving moves on the Cruze when i looked at it at the local dealer on a sunday when they were closed.
This is a dealer that keeps all their cars unlocked on the lot so that you can look when they are closed.

Like the old style trunk Hinges that go inside the trunk unlike the blat.
The door switch is on the center console instead of on each door.
No inside trunk release that i could find just a button on the outside of the trunk.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Wow that dealer keeps the cars unlocked? that's crazy! lol
Yea not many do anymore. And Sutliff is not far from the Getto part of Harrisburg.
Camo knows where it's at.

Also their sales people are Not Commissioned. So they are not pushy at all.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

way to pull a mitsubishi/dodge, GM, nice work!
That's what i was thinking. Like the Old DSM 2.0's that were known to break the belts.

·
Registered
674 Posts
another reason I have been saying in the other cruze thread, NOT F'IN WORTH THE MONEY!!! You are looking at 10 year old technology for 2011 prices... it should only cost 9 grand starting, not 18!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Will, I also noticed the standard engine had a belt. That's one of the reasons that I traded my Aveo in on my new 2010 Cobalt. However are you sure about the cost of replacement? That sounds about 3 times too much based on the price my dealer quoted me on the Aveo and also what my daughter paid to get a new timing belt on her Hyundai. The total cost on her Hyundai at the dealer was nearly 600.00 but it included a lot of other that was needed since she had nearly 90,000 miles on the car.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That price is from the corporate rep that was there training the sales staff on the Cruze. He said $1200, and that it HAD to be done. He suggested that they use it as an up sell to get people into the LTZ or the new Eco.

They had three LTZs on the lot fully loaded out at $24,000. They were fine looking cars, and had great low end torque, but if I were going to spend that kind of money on a 4 door sedan I would look toward the Buick Lacross. It's a lot more car for the money.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was at a local dealership today and they had their first 3 Cruzes on the lot. A rep from GM corporate was teaching the salesmen a class on the Cruze.

I found out a couple of interesting facts about the Cruze LS.

1. The Cruze LS comes with a 1.8 NA motor run with a TIMING BELT instead of a chain. :amazed:

2. The belt must be replaced at 100,000 miles and is not rated any further.

3. The belt replacement is $1,200.00.

4. The 1.8 NA motor, and I had to push him to get him to admit this, IS AN INTERFERENCE MOTOR. For those that do not know that means if the belt breaks the pistons WILL hit the valves, and it will puke the motor.

I said to corporate rep... " Congratulations, you have recreated the Dodge Neon" and walked away.
Yeah, I will not be directing anyone towards this car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good thing I got the 1.4 turbo. That is total crap on the 1.8, especially if the cost of replacement is accurate. It wasn't that long ago that most 4 cylinder cars had to get timing belts replaced every 50-60K. But they were no where near $1200 to do so. To me the 1.4 turbo was a no brainer in comparison to the 1.9. The low end torque makes the motor. Without that, it would be frustratingly slow.

Will, did they way the belt was a "normal" wear item or is it covered by extended warranties? Those who buyone better get the extended warranty if so!

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, they seem to have the 1.4 turbo dialed in real well for low end torque.

Yes, the belt on the 1.8 is a normal wear item.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You guys are hilariously uninformed......

Virtually every OHC engine out right now is interference........L61, LE5, LSJ, LNF, 3.6v6, 4/5/6 cylinder inline truck engine, etc, etc.....all interference engines.

The belt should only be about $275-$350 to change based on your shops rate...its only 1.6 billable hours plus the belt....so at $100/hr that $160 in labor, plus $125 belt and youre at $285.

And the belt is covered by the 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty anyway. So wow, after 100,000 miles youll have to drop a few hundred for a belt.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.