Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am debating on should I keep on building up my cobalt,meaning motor wise(race engine block,performance cnc head,ect)or should I go ahead find myself a between late 60s-70s Dodge Charger or Camaro and put in a LS6 motor in.If I go the muscle car route I will have something to do in the fall and winter time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go for the classics!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well reason I started to do some mods on the cobalt to get better gas mileage,I can't stand restricted crap on any car I owned,then I saw wow I can build up the cobalt in a monster for a 4 banger lol

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
SO how about you go ahead and Build a badass Charger. Then use your cobalt as a winter beater / daily driver that gets good gas mileage

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well,I am going to do the remaining work on the cobalt,which is the header and the downpipe,and intake manifold swap.After that I will be hunting down for a charger or a camaro. Hopefully I can find one possible in a junkyard in a reasonable condition so I can start my own building,do something better then what dodge and chevy did for those 2 or magicly find one on ebay in a good running condition for a good price.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The reason i would say take the balt over the muscle car is because its souch ore satisfiying spanking cars with a cobalt rather then a camaro or somethin. When you have an amazingly fast cobalt, no one expects that when they race you. I could race ricers my whole life and never get tired off it with a cobalt. But once you pull up in a camaro thats sounds meaner then mean with the engine sticking half way out the hood everyone backs off and its expected for you to beat them.

What im saying is if yu beat someone in a cobalt they leave thinking, damn i got waxed by a cobalt. If you beat someone in a late 60's muscle car they leave saying who cares its a chevelle, of course i wouldnt win. idn thats my opinion. And plus cobalts are better on gas, and there new, so many people have tuned up muscle cars. its not rare to see a super fast muscle car, but to see a super fast FWD car, now thats rare.

P.S regular gas on a cobalt is alot cheaper then premium

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hm well,that is true that they're is not many cobalts that are built well enough motor wise.One guy I know has a 2.2 well technicly a 2.6 cobalt now,after hearing him doing that to his cobalt,I want to do that to my cobalt make it a 2.6,leave the 2.2 on top of the head of the motor,so people would think its a 2.2 still.That would be nice to gain a good amount of horsepower by making it a 2.6L.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
hey burzu, can i solve your problem?

take option C: Do Both!

finish your tinker mods on the cobalt, then get your muscle car, once you tune that in, finish your modding of the cobalt!

then take both to the track, and see which is faster:cool:

I myself, am getting a mid range vehicle...........yes, i am getting a van!

GO V6!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I am a muscle car guy more then 4 cylinders,but the cobalt is the only 4 cylinder I really like the most out of any other 4 bangers made.I say cobaltkrazy is right,I should do both,finish with the downpipe if I can get it custom made still,header which I already have,and the intake manifold swap.After that since I am working another job with one buddy,I should make good money being a sales executive,I will go out to a junkyard since I know one guy who's cousin owns a junkyard,might beable to get a muscle car for a little less,make sure the body is in good condition,hopefully the transmission is in reasonable condition to.If there is no motor,then it wouldn't matter since I will put in a LS6 or a LS7 motor,the LS7 motor does 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds in first gear and 1/4 mile in 11.5 seconds when I read about it on LS motor section:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would definitely get both. That way when you do more major mods, like ones that will take a few days, then you still have a car to drive.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Save money and go muscle. Sorry, but unless you go RWD or AWD, a 2.2L isn't a very solid performance platform. You could build an 11-12 second muscle car for less money than you would spend making a 13 second 2.2 (if you know what you're doing). Unless your willing to shell out big bucks, the 'Balt isn't a feasible investment in performance.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well that is true you can build a muscle car that can do 11 seconds or less on the track for less money then building up a 4 banger or a v6.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
yeah but gm came up with a new engine called lsx motor so they should be dropping the ls7 motor pricing soon,as for my buddy doing the 2.6 he bored and stroke the block to get it up to 2.6,I wasn't honestly there to see what he did actually.Oh I was talking to one of my other buddies that is selling a 68 GTO that has no motor but has a transmission basicly everything complete on the GTO,he is selling it for 3grand,I told him I would buy it off of him since I am going to do the motor anyways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.