Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as you might know, I've recently funneled a good deal of money into my base DD G5 to make it track ready, the most recent thing being a complete exhaust from header to tip. Ever since the CAI, my CEL has been coming and going like a boomerang and it's driving me nuts. At this very moment, I'm stuck with a loud, slow and thirsty car, which brings me to my dilemma. Do I..

a) ignore the problem and continue putting up with her?
b) go all in with IM/TB and tune?
c) cut my losses, sell the old girl and get something different?

The original idea was to track my car but with my schedule, I just don't have the time. Also, I like to think I've matured a bit in regards to my driving style and am looking for something a little more comfortable. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mods:
TWM STS
Injen CAI
FE5 shocks
Pedder's springs
ZZP midlength header w/cat'd DP
GMPP cat-back

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Comfort? Cadillac CTS. But in Montreal they'll have every corner banged up with-in 3 weeks. I would just get it tuned for the CAI Or put back original inlet if you still have it. Car will be hard on fuel when Check engine light is on because it reverts to open loop ECM parameters.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
TSX, now you really fell on your head, I thought you said you wanted something comfortable. Go try a Verano turbo, then you'll have something to compare all other cars.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All in with intake mani and tb? That's like 150 bucks tops lol, turbo the bitch
150 bucks? Maybe if I pay someone to steal it from a scrapyard. And it would still need a tune to work, that means more money, downtime and premium gas for, what, 10hp? Turbo for me is not an option because I would have to undo so much work for something I really don't want, not to mention the absurd price and fragility that comes with the package.

TSX, now you really fell on your head, I thought you said you wanted something comfortable. Go try a Verano turbo, then you'll have something to compare all other cars.
Well I do fancy the Verano, and the Regal GS is pretty sweet, but I'm not in the market for a new car, and it's next to impossible to find a used manual, I checked. I like N/A four cylinder motors. Less parts, less complexity, usually translates into increased reliability, and that's important to me because I never baby my car. The few six cylinders I'd consider would be an entry level 3 series BMW or a Lexus IS250 RWD.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Comfort? Cadillac CTS. But in Montreal they'll have every corner banged up with-in 3 weeks. I would just get it tuned for the CAI Or put back original inlet if you still have it. Car will be hard on fuel when Check engine light is on because it reverts to open loop ECM parameters.
Didn't see the rest of this. Yeah, Montreal traffic and conditions are particularly rough on cars. I've repaired and repainted my car more times that I care to remember, but that's normal I suppose. I've kept off buying rims and low pro's simply because of the craters and debris plaguing our streets. (dented the sh*t outta my steelies though)

I'm planning to convert the CAI to SRI for the winter, hoping the computer can cope with the change. If not, then I'll wait it out and get a tune when the snow melts. The fuel economy with the CEL on is a bugger, but the lackluster performance is infuriating. Spending 3k on performance mods to end up being slower than stock, that makes me mad.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Its never to soon for a joke

·
Registered
115 Posts
Surprised to hear such problems would arise from a simple bolt on like an intake. Does the stock intake have a resonator you could just take out that would free up flow a little? Not that it makes a huge difference from the complete OEM setup, but it would be something.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Fix the CEL and sell it.

No reason to go with performance. The intake offers almost no gain, so if you wanted to keep the car (to avoid another payment and have a daily abuser). I'd sell off the intake, as that CEL would annoy me too, and go with a drop in k&n. Since you're CAI, you already ripped out the silencer so the noise and gains will still be there and should have no CEL. (unless it's header back related)

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The code is P0171, and it comes up mostly at WOT and stays on for a few days. If I drive carefully there is no issue. I don't want to put back the stock intake unless I sell the car. (I did kick the resonator a few times so maybe its not even good anymore) Will get a tune for it if I decide to keep the old girl.

Also, not interested in FI witchcraft, so evos need not apply. thanks lol

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you did mention option c. so if u like cobalts , by an ss best thing i ever did!
No offense to anyone, but I'm trying to move away from the boy racer image. I'm going to be 26 next month, I've saved a good chunk of money and I'd like to reward myself with something a little classier. My criteria for a car would be used, compact, naturally aspirated, preferably four cylinder (6 is my limit) premium or pseudo luxury, and manual. Acura has some attractive offerings and I have experience working for Honda so they remain my first choice. A 3 series BMW has damn near perfect driving dynamics but I'm weary of European cars (and European problems) A Lexus IS250 has a bulletproof reputation for reliability but I feel it leans a little too much on the soft side. As for The General, I'm very fond of the ATS and Regal GS, but it doesn't quite fit my model. This is all if I decide to sell so for now it's just talk.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
bugati

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Fiat 500?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.