Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

It's a shame to say, but my 2 week old cobalt has already been smashed and yet again, i turn to the community for an opinion on whether or not it will be totaled. The accident isn't my fault, but I'm still waiting on the police report and for the insurance companies to start duking it out. Its a 2010 Cobalt LS (basic options) with only 1K miles. I bought it brand new off the lot (64 miles at purchase) and racked up the miles going for joy rides, visiting girlfriend/friend in Pittsburgh, etc. The car needs an entire left side bumper to bumper (MAYBE not the rear bumper/deck lid). Here's my pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The other question I have is with my transmission, has anyone else experienced maybe not "hard" shifting if the car shifts into first gear (mines an automatic unfortunately) under 1500 RPM? I cant tell if its me being paranoid since its a new car or if it is really shifting weird. Thanks fellow members.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Am sorry to hear about the accident. As far as "totaled" the damage on the rear quarter makes me nervous. I do not know really how the insurance companies handle that because it is pretty much one piece. If they total it, the front fender and door wouldn't be to hard to replace, but you might need a pretty descent body guy for the back half (if it didn't ruin the rear end components at all).

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
dude that sucks hardcore. You gotta drive defensively! especially where i live. but sometimes you can't avoid an accident when it's not your fault. hope it gets all sorted out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the sympathy! I appreciate it. But to make a long story as short as i can: kid with no license was driving his dads car in the center of the road, i had no chance of not hitting him. His tread marks are about 120 feet long (literally) from where he started hitting his brakes, mine are about 25-30 so i wasn't flying. He swerved, i swerved but he was to fast to late. The rear quarter panel imo is the worst but hey who knows what insurance will say. Its an ugly situation that i may get screwed out of because a) the kid fled the scene b) the story given to his insurance is ENTIRELY different from what happened (person calling the claim who wasn't there???)

·
Registered
126 Posts
You didn't leave the scene though? You waited for an officer? If that is the case, the police write-up should be in your favor completely!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i was there, my girlfriend was there too, i wasnt going to put her at risk of anything happening to her

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He was mad at the kids dad for letting him drive the car lol. The kids dad showed up and the kid ran. The cop also proceeded to tell the father that he was clearly over to far if his tread marks are clear on my side of the road

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I do not know really how the insurance companies handle that because it is pretty much one piece.
from past dealings with insurance companys from what I know its pretty much cost of repair vs. value of the vehicle. Thats a very tough descision because alot of the side is one piece, and your cobalt with the mileage runs a KBB value or about 13,935 and they will get a repair estimate and compare and see if its worth it to repair. Good luck

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, I guess I would think that you have an upper hand in this case. In most cases the insurance agent is going to try and pull for their client to win most of these ridiculous cases so that their company doesn't have to foot the bill. So it doesn't surprise me with his writeup being false. The one that counts is the Police report. If you have that on your side and it jives with your story, you win.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

from past dealings with insurance companys from what I know its pretty much cost of repair vs. value of the vehicle. Thats a very tough descision because alot of the side is one piece, and your cobalt with the mileage runs a KBB value or about 13,935 and they will get a repair estimate and compare and see if its worth it to repair. Good luck
I thought that is kind of how it worked, wasn't for sure though. Another big factor is if the rear end is bent or the frame is tweaked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mad at the father lol. he just pointed out how far over the tread marks were and asked where the kid went to.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Haha, nice. Just say what you experienced, but have great detail. The more detail, the better. Like I said, you are in good position.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 witnesses + a third if necessary because it happened right in front of a ladies house and she can verify the kid was driving and the father asked me if i could lie and say he was driving. I feel confident with the whole thing, but thanks a lot guys

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Insurance companys dont necessarily pull for there client to win, they more so pull for what ever is going to cost them less money.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Insurance companys dont necessarily pull for there client to win, they more so pull for what ever is going to cost them less money.
Haha, true.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

2 witnesses + a third if necessary because it happened right in front of a ladies house and she can verify the kid was driving and the father asked me if i could lie and say he was driving. I feel confident with the whole thing, but thanks a lot guys
No problem. Glad you got witnesses and the dad had to shove his foot in his mouth. I would rest easy, just make sure that all the statements are in detail and you are going to be fine.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
highly doubt it will be totaled. mine was almost exactly like that and it bent the HELL out of the frame...depends on the insurance company and the body shop.

who's got what insurance?

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Hope you get it fixed - and I hope that kid gets hell.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.