Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new to this forums First to all HI to you all :)

frist i remove the thermostat from my 08 cobalt and now the temperature is not showing up on the board any ideas what the problem may be??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seems to me like the thermostat has the temp sensor in it, but I could be wrong lmao. Makes sense to an extent, but idk good news, my cobalt is sitting outside my house with a new trans, and steering colum, new steering rack, control arms, clutch, and BEAT HYDRAULICS. Yea that's right brought it home last night after 8 days in service, went to go to work, haha, seems like i am SOL.

Sorry not trying to thread jack let me see, okay google and I talked about it and we have concluded that your sensor has gone bad, or you mistakenly unplugged her. You can view the temp sensor here, so you know what to look for next time your under the HOOD. Temp Sensor and here are some instructions, possibly generic to replace it, directions

Hope that helps allot, as that is about the only joy I get outta my cobalt, is finding this site and attempting to aid you guys!

·
Registered
674 Posts
On newer cars you need the thermostat... I doubt that "they" were a Chevrolet service department, and Doubt Chevrolet's Service techs told you it was ok to take out the thermostat cause of how intricate the wiring is and how intricate the computer is. If the car isn't running in the temp range preset in the computer, then you WILL find yourself with poor gas mileage and possibly other things happening.

Advice, Check to see if you unplugged the temp sensor first, then Put Back that Thermostat.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yeah...definitely put the thermostat back in there. It'll do it's job regardless of outside temperature.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Agreed. You should put it back in. It used to be good advise, and still is on older cars, but our newer cars need their thermostats left in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not sure but can't you get different ones that pop at different temps? I know the material that makes it pop, bi-metal, wax, or gas, but I think they all pop at different temps. Lol I love reading here is some info I'd like to share.

his type of thermostat operates mechanically. It makes use of a wax pellet inside a sealed chamber. The wax is solid at low temperatures but as the engine heats up the wax melts and expands. The sealed chamber has an expansion provision that operates a rod which opens a valve when the operating temperature is exceeded. The operating temperature is fixed, but is determined by the specific composition of the wax, so thermostats of this type are available to maintain different temperatures, typically in the range of 70 to 90°C (160 to 200°F). Modern engines run hot, that is, over 80°C (180°F), in order to run more efficiently and to reduce the emission of pollutants. Most thermostats have a small bypass hole to vent any gas that might get into the system, e.g., air introduced during coolant replacement, which also allows a small flow of coolant past the thermostat when it is closed. This bypass flow ensures that the thermostat experiences the temperature change in the coolant as the engine heats up; without it a stagnant region of coolant around the thermostat could shield it from temperature changes in the coolant adjacent to the combustion chambers and cylinder bores.

I think the cobalt is designed to run at 190 degrees, at least that's where mine runs. But yea GO PUT IT BACK IN DUDE!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ok man here's what's goin on with your car. If you take the t stat out or put a low temp one in you will throw a code. Not sure what the code is but the reason your temp is reading --- is because your motor isn't reaching normal operating temp which is 176 degrees. If you're goin to leave the t stat out or put a low temp one in you will need a tune so your car won't throw codes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok man here's what's goin on with your car. If you take the t stat out or put a low temp one in you will throw a code. Not sure what the code is but the reason your temp is reading --- is because your motor isn't reaching normal operating temp which is 176 degrees. If you're goin to leave the t stat out or put a low temp one in you will need a tune so your car won't throw codes.
So 176, and mine runs 190 in the winter. Humm is my car that fed up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i put it back in and the temp is jumping from 201 to 214 it use to be like 189 - 192 idk whats wrong >.<

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
How hard are you driving the car? Also, what are the temps in Texas right now? A rise in ambient temperature will cause a rise in engine temperature. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.