Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am looking to get the vic red color matched mirror covers for my 2.2 coupe that has manual mirrors and right now with just black ugly plastic.

I was reading on here a while ago that we can buy color-matched covers to put in place. I would like to do that. I called my local chevy dealer and they said theres no such thing, and i would have to buy 2 mirrors with the color matched inserts already in them. Im like no, i found on gmpartdirect they are around $40 for just the inserts. he said the black plastic is molded in and theres no way to remove it to insert color matched ones....:notrust:

This btw is same dealership that are selling base model cobalts for 15 grand and the ss ones for only 1 or 2 grand more...

So im guessing there is a way to remove the black plastic and put in the color matched ones. am i correct or is this dumbass right?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Why don't you just paint the existing ones. Wash, vinyl prime, paint and clear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are you sure those color matched covers arent just that.. covers that go over your existing mirrors? Maybe they snap on over the black mirrors.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
base models for 15 grand? wtf mine was less than that when I bought it NEW. sounds like dealer is on CRACK :p

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've had interest in this as well but never asked because the black plastic just blends in with the black car. Hope someone knows

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YEA 15 FRICKIN GRAND. lol. i told the guys there i could go to another dealer 10 miles away and get a ss/sc for 16 grand

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is this what you want to do? Mine were black, I popped them off and sanded and painted them. Sorry the pics are so bad, my car has not been washed recently.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My dealer used to stock them and you could get them in any color code for $40 a pair. In fact, that's where I got mine. They have since stopped selling them separately, according to the guy at the counter. He tried to give me the same line, "You need to buy the whole mirror assembly now." Sure... that'll happen.

You can still buy them at GM Parts Giant for $32 per pair in most colors. I have also seen them on ebay for about the same price.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I think he means complete color match all the way to the neck of the mirror, not just the color matched insert.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Huh... Well, it that's the case the only option is to DIY by taking off the whole assembly and painting.

However, if he does mean the inserts, they are not molded in as Jimbug's pictures illustrate. There are angled tabs and you just need to give 'em a good yank (in the proper direction, of course).

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I might be wrong, mine came with matching covers but still has the plastic looking neck. That is what I would like to replace to make it fully matching.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So Jmesl8ter you should be able to answer if the black covers just snap off or if the colored ones just snap over???

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no not the entire mirror assembly, just the inserts. like the white balt did in the pics, but instead of painting em, i just wana get the inserts. And yea i just bough a pair off GMPD

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm interested in doing this for mine, my car is white, so color match is a breeze, I think I will spray paint them, I have used White gloss primer on some scuffs and scratches and it works great, even painted the rear badge with black gloss primer, don't you just love black and white, lol.

I would imagine you would need several coats to get a nice smoothness above the rough-ish surface of the black plastic covers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.