Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'll start up let the car warm and build up. I'll be driving fine and the day will be good. The. Sometimes I'll drive hit a bump even a small one or even sometime not hit anything and my abs light will come on but then most of the time I'll turn her off and when I start up again the lights out. So
Something loose?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its likely the wheel speed sensor. You have to change the hub to replace them on our cars. You would need to have it scanned to figure out which one it is.
I think low brake fluid may also cause the brake light to go on in our cars but I dont think it says ABS. Maybe try checking that first because it is cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely sounds like a WSS going bad.

I had to replace both front wheel hub bearings when I had a '01 Grand Prix.

The CarQuest brand hubs I bought were made in Korea and did great for over 60,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Your describing the symptoms of a worn out wheel bearing with excessive play causing the toothed ring to misaligned with wheel speed pickup sensor inside the hub.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ya, its the wheel speed sensor. This was a very common problem on 90's Silverado's. They got all gummed up with dirt and stuff and wouldn't read the wheel speed properly which would trigger the light. I had a 98 Silverado and the light would only come on after I started moving. Most auto parts stores have abs code readers, have them read the code and figure out which wheel it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.