Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i noticed today that when i turn my AC on it sounds like the front of my car is winding up really loud... When i pop my hood it sounds like its coming from my fan but im not sure... It will stay on until i shut the car off... But i tried to keep the AC off and it didn't come back once i turned on the AC it came right back... Once i turn off the AC it still stays and it seems my idle jumps up a hundred RPM when this happens too... any ideas?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok so i noticed today that when i turn my AC on it sounds like the front of my car is winding up really loud... When i pop my hood it sounds like its coming from my fan but im not sure... It will stay on until i shut the car off... But i tried to keep the AC off and it didn't come back once i turned on the AC it came right back... Once i turn off the AC it still stays and it seems my idle jumps up a hundred RPM when this happens too... any ideas?
check ur belt make sure it isnt worn ive had that problem on another car where the belt had just about had it and was causing a really loud noise

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Can't be sure without being there, but it sounds like your fan is just kicking in to max when you turn your AC on. Unless your hearing some kind of bearing noise I'd say it's normal...since it quiets down when you turn off the AC. You'd only hear that sound when the engine gets really hot and the fan has to go to max -- that's why you don't hear it with the AC off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya but when i turn the ac off it doesn't go away until i shut off the car but only turns on when i turn the AC on... if it was the belt you would think it would be doing it constantly because its serpintine and it runs all the time

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ya but when i turn the ac off it doesn't go away until i shut off the car but only turns on when i turn the AC on... if it was the belt you would think it would be doing it constantly because its serpintine and it runs all the time
It's still in a cool-down state. Both my Cobalts did the same thing. It's normal. Just the fan at max. Of course I don't know the exact sound of your car -- you should be able to tell by the air flow of the fan -- check it when you shut down the car and then restart it with the AC off. but don't stick your fingers in the fan...LoL!

It is normal for the fan to go to max when the AC is turned on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya when i restart it, it goes back to normal... but the thing is its never done this before i would of noticed...

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
It makes mine sounds like it has two blowers. :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.