Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if there has already been a topic like this, did a search, didn't find anything. At what RPM/rate of acceleration is the most efficient for city traffic. I think it was Car and Driver that did a test and it showed that a faster acceleration was more fuel efficient then a slower one since it reached the fuel saving speed faster, at least on their test car. Does this theory apply to Cobalt?
07 LT

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
You manual or automatic? It is said that slower acceleration allows for better fuel economy as jack rabbit starts or harder acceleration allow you to get up to a certain speed that is desired, however doing that, you may have to stop at another light. The rate of speed you need to be going should dictate how fast you accelertate... if you are in a 35 mph zone, there is no need to gun it or anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Automatic, but what is the optimal RPM for accelerating? I've heard people say that slower accelerations use more fuel, like Car and Driver for example.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You manual or automatic? It is said that slower acceleration allows for better fuel economy as jack rabbit starts or harder acceleration allow you to get up to a certain speed that is desired, however doing that, you may have to stop at another light. The rate of speed you need to be going should dictate how fast you accelertate... if you are in a 35 mph zone, there is no need to gun it or anything.
I agree. If you are driving through a bunch of traffic lights, you are going to burn more gas stopping and then gunning it to the next red light.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
All I know is that I burn a retarded amount of fuel when I am in boost.

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
If you want super good mileage, rev it to 2-2.5k RPM.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you want super good mileage, rev it to 2-2.5k RPM.
^ I agree

2,500 mpgs is a pretty good shifting point for an automatic.
Give it as much gas as you can without having it downshift and then lighten up on the pedal around 2,500 so that it shifts up then again apply as much pressure as you can without it downshifting.

Pump those tires up, for the average user who doesn't check all that often and doesn't have their own air compressor I'd pump them up to 38 if the car has been sitting and tires aren't warmed up or 40 if the tires are warmed up.
Air expands about 2 psi from sitting temp to running temp.

Try to learn to time traffic lights as best as you can. No point accelerating just to slam on the brakes and then sit at a red light for two minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before I usually accelerated at 1500-2000, don't get good mileage(23mpg in city). will try what you guys suggested, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.