Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my car, the accessories work but the car doesn't make a single sound when trying to turn it over. We tried to jump it with my friends f350 diesel with dual batteries and it did nothing. We tried to jump it at the battery not at the points under the hood. Does that matter? Any ideas?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Your starter solenoid is either dead or check the fuse/relay for your starter to make sure it's not blown.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
you're doing it right. well, sorta. you're not supposed to jump a car with another car period. but that's not that big a deal. if I had to judge by what you tell me, starter is dead. sometimes the fuse will blow if the starter is crapping out also.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
well it doesn't help that it is -20˚f here either man!! haha unless you park in a garage. but yeah, I would also say that you have a starter issue. jumping it directly at the battery is the best thing to do and if that doesn't work it's something else.

·
Registered
455 Posts
its gotta be the starter. even if the battery was completely shot you would at least hear the starter clicking just from piggy backing off the good one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
^^^ i dont even know where to begin with that post lol. but even though it seems like it shouldnt be gone at 33k, the starters really the only likely possibility. you have power to all your accessories so it cant be just a bad connection to the battery. and like i said before you should be able to hear the engine click and try to start if there just wasn't enough power. i'm not sure but the starter might be covered under warranty. someone else should know if it is or not

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my car used with 33k on it. They said I have 60 days or 2500 miles. It has been 60 days. No where close to 2500 miles. Although there is a portion that says BALACNCE OF FACTORY WARRANTY

here is the balance of factory warranty details.

What do you think? Am I sitting ok to get a free starter out of the deal?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
well to me it sounds like a starter too, I mean if you don't hear the starter solenoid clicking or anything. I don't know about your warranty situation but the GM manufacture warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles. So your car is an 08 right? you should still be under the GM warranty I would hope.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just talked to the dealership and they said to call Chevy Roadside Ass. which I had no clue that I had that....I called them. A tow truck is coming out for free and the dealership said that starter is free too. Hope this all works out. Also heres how cold it is outside. Check out this VID! YouTube - P1010074.MOV

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I just talked to the dealership and they said to call Chevy Roadside Ass. which I had no clue that I had that....I called them. A tow truck is coming out for free and the dealership said that starter is free too. Hope this all works out. Also heres how cold it is outside. Check out this VID! YouTube - P1010074.MOV
good deal man!! I work at a chevy dealer so I figured it should be under warranty. yay for the cold though right? haha!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea this blows! I actually called the dealer and got no response as service is closed at 2. Then 2 hours later I got a call from a saleman that I went through and he said he was just calling to check in on me because I have had my car around 6 months lololololol how about that for coincedence! I told him I am horrible and then told him the story and he told me about 1-800-CHEV-USA!!!! I was like NO WAY!!!! OMG!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've got the same problem it has been going on for about 6 weeks now had the battery charged and everything. everyone that i had talked to says alternator but i dont know, it started to do it only when i got gas but now it does it here and there i dont even turn my car off now when i go somewhere it sucks

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yea this blows! I actually called the dealer and got no response as service is closed at 2. Then 2 hours later I got a call from a saleman that I went through and he said he was just calling to check in on me because I have had my car around 6 months lololololol how about that for coincedence! I told him I am horrible and then told him the story and he told me about 1-800-CHEV-USA!!!! I was like NO WAY!!!! OMG!!!!!
haha!! that's funny man! That sales guy is just working you over for a new car though lol

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I can say it's either your starter or your switch, but I'm leaning towards the starter the most. Starters can go out, anytime they feel like it, thus the downfall of electronics. I've pulled Brand New alternators out of the box and 3 minutes into running they die, or just don't work out of the box. Not that uncommon really. Try to get it changed with the warranty, and if they won't do it, at least ask them if they can test it for free for you.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
It could be your battery is just too low to start the car, many cars allow a minimal amount of juice to remain to power the ECU and all the back up power for clocks and such. How old is the battery, take the battery in to an autoparts store and have them check it out.
It is safe to jump a car from another car, battery to battery if it is done properly. Consult the owners manual for procedures. I have been jumping cars that way for 27 yrs now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.