Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We now have cruise control and remote radio control

The following is how I managed it with help from Coby7

I am trying to activate the cruise function in a 2008 LS.
I am starting with a 2010 Chevy Malibu leather steering wheel with both cruise control & radio control buttons.
I have a selection of pins with about 10" of wires for the body wiring harness connector at the clock spring (SIR) the radio connector and the body control module (BCM) C2-61
Thanks for ebay score a new Malibu Leather wheel

And a matching airbag

Notice this is NOT the same mounting as a cobalt or HHR

Now here is the catch.
I do not have the schematics for the Malibu steering wheel and I am changing from a Cobalt steering wheel air bag to the Malibu steering wheel air bag. This may lead to less than optimal ignition of the air bag if the need ever arrises. Time will tell.

I will post images along the way to document this modification.

Along with the ongoing request for any information others may have that will aid.
Starting with the schematic for 08 Cobalt cruise control posted by A-Zone
They appear to use the same schematic for both the Cobalt & Malibu

Adding the info for the extra wire to the BCM C2-61 and the Tech2 programing instructions.
Need the image of C2 connector here
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/electrical/27382-how-install-aftermarket-cruise-control.html
Adding Coby7's images from http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/audio-video/28115-steering-wheel-control-module.html

And the radio connector
Note one wire goes to Radio connector C1-11 the 14 pin connector SIR coil E
The other goes to C2-14 the 16 pin connector SIR coil F

Adding
BCM C2 diagram thanks to Coby7's post in
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/29979-bcm-pcm-locations-2.html

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts list for blue-tooth
Item 7 MICROPHONE - 2008 CHEVROLET COBALT (15264477)
Item 8 MICROPHONE BEZEL - 2008 CHEVROLET COBALT (22666403)
These could be substituted by using an onstar mirror

Item 20 is the antenna cable
What is item 21?
It appears as the electrical power to interior dome light & ???

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
21 is probably the navigation power and telephone harness since part of it goes to dome light.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Are you talking about pin 61?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, the pink wire ignition / B+
Should be circuit 1539 from tha Azone schematic, the first diagram above.
The diagram says the pink wire from the SIR coil connector, (pin C) goes to the BCM.
This should be to the fused output of fuse 19 of the Electrical Power Steering, Steering Wheel Controlled.
I am trying to verify which pin the 2A fuse is on.
From your image of BCM X3. And the AZone diagram above, It looks like the run crank relay feeds fuse 19. The output of fuse 19 then feeds the B+ to the steering wheel.

BCM-X3 A8 0.35 pink circuit 339 ??? yes?
Searching for your diagram of the cruise control steering wheel schematic instead of AZone's

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Coby7 for your posts. That circuit explaination did it for me.
I now find circuit 1539 on the BCM connector C4 or X4 and it matches all other info
Now to mount the wheel & route the wires

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sports fans,
One happy camper here. A quick 2 block drive verified cruise was working and the + button started accelerating. By this time, it was time to stop for a stop sign. This was an uneventful stop and deactivated the cruise.

Mind you all, this is a 2008 Cobalt LS and had no extra wires preinstalled for the steering wheel.
Total time to do the instal was a bit over 2 hr with a time out for images and a bit of trouble shooting.
It turns out the wiring on steering wheel I was working with didnt match the Cobalt. This necessatated matching the possition for 4 wires to those of the cobalts wiring diagram,

Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Malibu wheel pin out

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh my you found it
You can see from my image how they were configured into the connector that plugs into the clock spring.
The wire colours and definitions were the same but the order for the 4 wires was different.....at least for the wheel i received.

Note connector pins C D E & F,
Pink & gray should be on C &D while blue & white/black should be on E & F.
Once these 4 wires were ordered to match the Cobalt's diagram...everything works perfectly
That is
C pink
D gray
E Blue
F white / black
NOT as they were received or as shown

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have taken the BC out a couple of time now and put about 200mi on it since installing the new wheel.
What a pleasure! It works great. So far I have see it engage as low as 30mph and holds 75mph quite well and all buttons work great and as expected.

Looking now for that bluetooth interface for hands free telephone operation.
It looks like onstar with bluetooth installation or aftermarket...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has been a while and now near 1000 miles since I installed all of the mods on the 08 BC, ....(Blue Cobalt),. Cruise is working GREAT and the radio buttons work as expected.......
I am normaly getting 32-35MPG on the runns i do....50-60 mi city hiway @ 70 and 33.4mpg @ 68mph ave over 440miles from Dallas to Shreeveport and back....i think it is time to replace the stock FE1 springs for the FE5 springs.
As a side note, the just installed a recever hitch so that I can couple to an aircraft tow bar to pull my twin out and around the airport.

The 08 Silver LT needs the AC mide diverter valve, cam reClocked.... no defrost....the JB Weld seems to be holding the temp diverter valve just fine.......and she still needs new shocks & struts @ all 4 corners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.