Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing major, but I thought I'd share some pictures.

We've had our Cobalts for like 3 weeks now and we love them, but my wife said that the tail pipes were ugly and looked to small, so I got a couple 3" stainless exhaust tips.

Eventually I would like to do some work on the interior of my Cobalt, but with no OT at work, project money is getting short, and I'd rather put what extra money I have into our V8 Beetle project......

I cut about 6" off of the stock tail pipe, because I think it looks kinda stupid when you can see the old tailpipe inside the tip......

I did my car first and was surprised that it actually sounded a little louder on medium to heavy acceleration??? I figured an exhaust tip wouldn't make it any louder, and I was probably just hearing things..... LOL :nuts:

Before I did my wife's car I drove it a bit paying attention to the exhaust sound, and after I put the tip on it did the same. The exhaust isn't any louder, but it did make it a noticeably deeper sound on medium to heavy acceleration, at least from the drivers seat with the window down.

I just thought that was interesting, I'm guessing its because I cut that 6" off and then its dumping into a short section with a bigger dia. I do remember when I was doing some research for muffler design for small engines for our hovercrafts that the outlet size would change the tone of the exhaust. Bigger dia oulet = deeper sound, smaller dia = tinnier sound.

Anyways here are a few pictures:

Here are both of the cars sitting in front of our house after I put the tips on. They are both filthy, but they don't stay clean too long with all the rain that we've been having.......

My wife's (Tiffany) Cobalt, she wanted the straight tip on hers.

And finally my Cobalt, I thought the angled tip looked better so I went with it.

I think they made the cars look better, nothing major, but it's something.................... And more importantly the wife is happy.............. :bigsmile:

Talk to you all later...............

Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Nice! I like the look of the angled tip better. Nice you got a little sound out of it!

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cobaltkrazy:
LOL, so that means that if instead of cutting off the mufflers and sounding like a chainsaw, they should be adding 10" dia exhaust tips to sound like a big V8............................. LOL :idea:

OBZ:
Thanks, I figured the angled tip would look a little better, and yeah the extra sound was a nice surprise.

JDBALT06:

LOL uh.............. No, But I would be willing to give you a ride, its a blast cruising the river at 40-50mph and being able to do muiltiple 360's when every you want. :bigsmile:

I'm actually just finishing up another smaller 1 person hovercraft that I've had sitting in my garage for a couple years, I'm just waiting on a fuel pump for it............... I have to make room for another VW beetle in my garage.

Here is a picture from a few years ago when we were at the local air show....... Its been needing some drive system work ever since and I've just been to busy until recently. We just had it there for a static display, while I did demos in the other hover.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I don't know either.............. My neighbor even has a SS HHR, its a nice and pretty red, but it still has the ugly bare tail pipe sticking out of it.

But if they were GM parts I'm sure instead of me spending $27 for two tips from Ebay, it would have been closer to $270.......... LOL

talk to you later.........

bye

nice, they look good. i dont know why they didnt just put them on stock. they look so much better than the bare pipe. cheapos! :laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.