Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I bought a used 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT at the start of this year. I love the car, but it's missing one thing I'd really like to have. That is a MP3 input jack so I can plug in my zune/ipod into the radio. All the other Cobalts I went and looked at had this feature, but the one I bought didn't. It is a LT, has radio controls, but does not have a sub. Any way I can add this? Even if it's just coming out of the glove box or another "hole". Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks, Jake

PS: New here to the forums, I think I'm going to like it here.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The mp3 jack didn't come out until 07. So that leaves you 2 options.. 1: buy a 2007+ radio and put it in your 06. 2: go aftermarket.

However I think there is a way to hook up an Ipod cable from the back of the stereo so the stereo controls the Ipod. My friend had one on his 07 so i don't really know for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply daman, bare with me real quick as I ask a stupid question. Any 2007+ Cobalt radio will fit in the dash of the 2006? Just want to make sure before I went out and got something I couldn't use. I'd like to just add this feature, since money is always tight with me, but if I can't I might get a whole new radio.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the reply daman, bare with me real quick as I ask a stupid question. Any 2007+ Cobalt radio will fit in the dash of the 2006? Just want to make sure before I went out and got something I couldn't use. I'd like to just add this feature, since money is always tight with me, but if I can't I might get a whole new radio.
If you decide you want an 07 radio, I got one that has the mp3 input that I can let you have for cheap

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yes they will physically fit, but you have to go to the dealer to get it flashed. because the radio locks itself up when put in another car. Or so I've heard..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for your reply, you've been quite helpful. One last question, and think I'll be set on this matter. Any idea if my radio steering wheel controls will still work with the '07+ radio with audio jack?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Not a problem! And yes they should.. There are people who have added radio/steering wheel controls because the wires are already in the steering wheel. So yes you should be fine!

·
Registered
96 Posts
i give u a 3rd option get a FM transmiter from RadioShack... Get like a MONSTER brand, the RadioShack suck.....the problem is that it doesnt give you the sound an AUX input gives you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys. I have considered the FM transmiter, but as you stated, it just doesn't give near the quality.

PLUR13 said:
If you decide you want an 07 radio, I got one that has the mp3 input that I can let you have for cheap
How much is letting it go for "cheap"? Ha, sorry, it won't let me PM you.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have an FM transmitter and hate all 3 brands that i have had, the quality all suck compared to an AUX input

·
Registered
96 Posts
HAHA i had a transmiter that had 9 bands.... ONLY 2 actually gave me good reception...

·
Registered
8 Posts
FM Transmitters are generally a bad idea, what I would highly recommend is a FM Modulator.

The FM Transmitters are wireless and generally have crappy sound quality. The FM Modulator is a direct wired solution. You will need the Modulator itself, and 2 adapters (Female GM radio antenna plug to Male Universal plug, and Female Universal plug to Male GM radio plug), and a 3.5mm Audio jack to RCA converter. Links to the parts are below.

Installation is simple, just take your radio out, unplug the radio antenna, plug that into the adapter (Female GM radio antenna plug to Male Universal plug), then plug the Universal end into the FM Modulator, tehn plug the Modulator into the second adapter (Female Universal plug to Male GM radio plug), and plug that back into the radio.

Oh and you are also going to have to tap one wire into a 12v power source (easy to find, modulator comes with directions).

And this will not shange any of the functionality of the radio or your steering wheel controls at all. All you will need to do is put your radio to a certain station and flip a switch. I have it installed in my dad's car, it sounds great. There is no stastic because it is a hardwired connection.

FM Modulator:
Metra 44-FMMOD02 (met-44fmmod02) FM Modulators Car Accessories and Installation Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix
I have used this one before, I really like it. It is possible to find less expensive ones around, just make sure you can connect it to a 12v power source, it eliminates the intereference.

This is the 3.5mm to RCA cable:
Amazon.com: RCA 6' Stereo Audio Cable (3.5mm Plugs to RCA-Type Plugs) - MM6PS: Electronics
It is 6' long which is a bit excessive, but it also means that you can put the plug basically anywhere (glove compartment, or the little pocket to the left of the steering wheel).

Basically $55 and less than 30 minutes of your time and your set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.