Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Im happy with my stock stereo but just want more bass I can just tap into the wires of one of the rear 6x9s with a line converter to a mono amd to a sub right?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have an MTX X Thunderlink which is just an all-in-one bass unit, but I had the same idea you have, just needs more bass.

I ran the blue turn-on lead to the fuse panel in the passenger compartment, then hooked up a line converter to the rear speaker and ran my RCA's that way. Then the power cables. Nice and easy.

It sounds good. I just wanted a little extra bass and a sub that doesn't take up any room.

I'm done with big sound systems. I had a nice JL 12W6v2 setup in my old car, but I have a family and no need for bass that everyone can hear now.

I had the same idea you have, but eventually I think the bug will bite me to upgrade the speakers and possibly the head unit.

So for now, just go that route and add the amp/sub via line converter, but eventually you'll want a little more than factory speakers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so then for example i can just put line convertor on one back 6x9 wire and to mono amp to one sub and it will work and it wont take away from the 6x9 i tap?

·
Registered
720 Posts
correct...all the line converter does is get a signal from your speaker to know what frequency the sub will play. It's not going to affect sound at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.