Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm replacing the rear shocks on my 08 Cobalt this weekend and wanted to make sure i have everything on hand that I may I want to replace while I'm in there. I dont plan on replacing the spings but what other pieces are part of the spring mounting that wear out commonly? Upper spring mount, spring isolator/insulator? This is my first time doing this so I'm not sure what all is in there and what is commonly worn out. Can someone give me some reccomendations of replacement items to have on hand during the install?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The springs and spring mounts should be okay. My balt' has 100k miles on it and I just replaced the rear springs for FE5's, and the mounts were perfectly fine. So unless the mounts looks rotted or cracked to you, I think all you really need to do is just replace the shocks.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
You should be good, the back isn't too complex.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Might as well check the brakes while you are back there, but just look everything over and make sure your brake lines and gas lines are still solid, just give everything a quick check since you are down there anyways

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd check the upper spring mounts. There's a piece of isolation rubber/foam that sits between the spring and the spring cup. I've got 130k on my 05. Mine are completely gone but they'll be getting replaced when I swap axles in March. Some people have simply bought a stock rubber sheet 1/4" thick and cut it for the replacement. The new parts are pretty expensive and if yours is bad/needs replaced the foam/rubber is all you'd need. Unfortunately if you want to buy a new piece, gm doesn't sell just the rubber. You have to buy the whole assembly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have a pull yard near you, you can probably find one for a couple dollars

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The ones at the yard would also be rotted most likely.... mine were almost completely gone at 56k miles, wasn't about to spend 100+ for 2 new mounts so I just left it.... little squeaky but oh well... I'll probably look into that rubber sheet idea sometime this spring

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Perfect, thats exactly what I was looking for! I do recall at one point what looked like a worn out gasket hanging off the springs, which I think is now totally gone. I really didn't want to pay 50 bucks piece for the upper spring mount, thanks rains_crusader, thats a genius idea!!!!

And I hate to thread jack my own thread, but speaking of checking my brake and gas line, I was under the car the other day and saw an insulated line running along the pinch weld that appeared to have had the insulation pinched and torn by the pinch weld at some point maybe when some idiot at the tire shop jacked it up. i don't have a pic of the one on my car handy but the line appears to be the one in the forefront of the pic below, please tell me this is not a brake line!!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm pretty sure the brake line runs along the drivers side.. parking brake cable maybe? Either that or a fuel line, and I really hope gm wouldn't run the fuel line right on the bottom like that..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh well I noticed this cable running along side both the passenger and driver sides, but mine is only damaged on the passenger side.

And yeh I was kind of unclear about that too hailcesar, but I just thought that rains_crusader meant to just buy a sheet of 1/4" rubber from like home depot....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yeah something like that, I think I'm going to look into a polyurethane sheet when I get around to doing mine, should hopefully make it a little more durable than a piece of rubber

·
Registered
589 Posts
There are several formulations of rubber. I've looked into ones for all weather and chemical resistant applications. If I go that way, I'll get some stuff that will withstand the salty roads a little better.

OP, that line you're referring to is you're e-brake cable. There's one on each side.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

I'll probably buy from here.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/rubber-sheets.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
boy I wish I could get my hands on some of that rubber somewhere local since I'm planning on doing the shocks tommorrow. its chemical resistant, hot and cold tolerant, and not degraded by the sun, that's perfect! the little 6" sheets of rubber I'm probably gonna have to pick up from Home Depot are gonna be nowhere near that durable!:sad:

Although I did just find some on Amazon that I orderd and hoping it'll be here soon enough. Its a little bit softer hardness than the material from rubber sheet roll, and I could only find it in 1/8" but I think its gonna be a lot more wear resistant that what I could find at home depot...
SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber) Sheet, 70 Shore A, Black, Smooth Finish, No Backing, 0.125" Thickness, 12" Width, 24" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Ok so it appears my e-brake cable has some damage to it's insulation then, good thing there appears to be a strong conduit housing the cable so I hope that its fine. The conduit doesn't appear damaged, just the rubber insulation...

·
Registered
589 Posts
boy I wish I could get my hands on some of that rubber somewhere local since I'm planning on doing the shocks tommorrow. its chemical resistant, hot and cold tolerant, and not degraded by the sun, that's perfect! the little 6" sheets of rubber I'm probably gonna have to pick up from Home Depot are gonna be nowhere near that durable!:sad:

Although I did just find some on Amazon that I orderd and hoping it'll be here soon enough. Its a little bit softer hardness than the material from rubber sheet roll, and I could only find it in 1/8" but I think its gonna be a lot more wear resistant that what I could find at home depot...
SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber) Sheet, 70 Shore A, Black, Smooth Finish, No Backing, 0.125" Thickness, 12" Width, 24" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
you could double them up to achieve proper thickness. Let us know how it looks.

Ok so it appears my e-brake cable has some damage to it's insulation then, good thing there appears to be a strong conduit housing the cable so I hope that its fine. The conduit doesn't appear damaged, just the rubber insulation...
Do you have rear disc or rear drum brakes?

new cables are super cheap. I just bought 2 for my rear disc conversion.

gmpartsgiant.com
rear disc (LSJ/JL9) GM# 15875458 $9.15
rear drum (JM4/J41) GM# 25836299 $8.31

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I expected them to be quite a bit more than that, last few I looked up for different vehicles were all like 50+.... at that price you should probably just go ahead and replace it as soon as you can

·
Registered
589 Posts
I expected them to be quite a bit more than that, last few I looked up for different vehicles were all like 50+.... at that price you should probably just go ahead and replace it as soon as you can

The company I bought this used axle from wants $50 a piece for original e-brake cables salvaged from their vehicles. That's crazy when brand new, genuine GM is so cheap!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you could double them up to achieve proper thickness. Let us know how it looks.
Yeh the more I read about the properties of this SBR synthetic rubber I'm pretty sure this stuff should get the job done. I can't believe I didn't think about doubling it up to get the 1/4" thickness, this is why forums are so helpful cause things may be immediately obvious that I just wouldn't think about. Like this, haha! :thanks

So I replaced the strut assemblies this weekend but when I got to replacing the shocks I pulled out the spring and notice it had rusted through and severed at bottom coil. Called every parts shop in town but not a single one had any in stock so now I'm waiting for amazon two day shipping to show up. I'll snap a couple pics of how the rubber looks on the upper spring insulator, I think I might add a little bit of adhesive between the layers of rubber to make it tacky and not slip around (all I have on hand is some water resistant super glue that I think is fairly high temp so hopefully that holds up)

I also have the joy of replacing a wheel stud in the front now cause somewhere along the way the threads had been damaged and this time they just decided to fully strip out a few threads when I tried to force it back on cause I didn't have a die to rethread it and was just hoping for the best (lazy mistake :sad: ) I've heard horror stories about replacing wheel studs so I'm hoping i'm not one of the unlucky ones...

Do you have rear disc or rear drum brakes?

new cables are super cheap. I just bought 2 for my rear disc conversion.

gmpartsgiant.com
rear disc (LSJ/JL9) GM# 15875458 $9.15
rear drum (JM4/J41) GM# 25836299 $8.31

I have rear drum brakes. thats super cheap, i'll have to look up the install. Although I keep saying I'm gonna get around to replacing one of the CV boots on my Subie and now this is taking up my extra time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.