Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have an 07 2.2 sedan. I was wondering what i can do to add more performance and looks to my car. I just installed an injen CAI and i LOVE it! it sounds so sweet! not really any noticable gains in horsepower yet but i love the way it sounds. What else can i do to my car that would add better performance? i was thinking of maybe a turbo and also an exhuast system. Any ideas? Advice?
Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
look at the Tsudo exhaust its cheap and sounds great it will fit sedan and coupes......dont worry about turbo its more trouble then its worth....look into headers.......and wheels and tires are always a plus.......mmmm......idk whatever else you find just browse the site and look at what has been done and go from there.....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you are just starting out on cars...concentrate on a cat-back exhaust for now. There are several to choose from. They can be expensive. Read up on cars and performance -- google header, for example to learn what it is. Hopefully everyone will understand you're a NooB and keep the "flaming" down.

There are vendors on this site you can get your parts from...visit their sites and learn what's available for your Cobalt...Pay attention to the engine sizes and specific model years.

My favorite place is crateenginedepot.com...click on "sport compacts" for the Cobalt parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome! im looking into the tsudo exhaust system. It looks pretty sweet and has an awesome price! is this a good exhaust system or is there a better one out there?

·
Registered
618 Posts
its good exhaust isnt gonna make a HUGE dif in a stock vehicle so....headers are the 4 tubes that exit the back side of your engine and turn into your cat converter then to the exhaust......the tsudo is the best for the price i plan on getting that one soon myself.....for the price it cant be beat just have it professionally installed cuz some on the site have had issues so....any ?'s just ask

·
Registered
618 Posts
mmmm yea not bad your better off doing headers and exhaust at the same time....but do it right cuz it'll get F*** up quick if you dont know what ur doing.....my advice is get headers and exhaust then have a GOOD shop install it all at once....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!
how in the world could you possibly screw up a header install? It is the second easiest mod to do after an intake.
x2 Even though he's a nub I'm sure he could figure out a header/cat-back install.
I personally love my GMPP cat-back. If you plan on going turbo though, the Tsudo would be better seeing its bigger diameter, or get a shop to custom make one, it wouldn't be much more expensive.

·
Registered
618 Posts
idk you never know i just prefer professional installs cuz they mess up they fix.....but im sure he can handle it....

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
.dont worry about turbo its more trouble then its worth...
Actually.. Turbocharging a car is the most cost effective way of gaining horsepower.
awesome! im looking into the tsudo exhaust system. It looks pretty sweet and has an awesome price! is this a good exhaust system or is there a better one out there?
There are many others out there. Some better, some worse.. I personally prefer Corsa or GMPP. Tsudo is just a good exhaust for the price. But I personally do not like the can style mufflers
are headers pretty easy to install
?
They are not too hard, I wrote up a how-to for installing a header and down pipe.
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/install-guides-diy/10209-diy-how-install-chevy-cobalt-header-downpipe.html

mmmm yea not bad your better off doing headers and exhaust at the same time....but do it right cuz it'll get F*** up quick if you dont know what ur doing.....my advice is get headers and exhaust then have a GOOD shop install it all at once....
First off its a header. Not headers. you only have 4 cylindars.

Sure. its easier to do them all at once.. But its litterally 2 bolts, cutting the stock cat-back and some rubber hangers to change out a cat-back..

Doing the header/DP is only like a 2-3 hour job even for a noob

JDBALT, please do not offer advise on things you do not know facts about.. You are pretty misleading..

·
Registered
193 Posts
go with the gmpp it fits great ,sounds really good, and no joke installs in like 20 min or less

·
Registered
122 Posts
First off its a header. Not headers. you only have 4 cylinders.
God, thank you it was driving me crazy people calling it headers on a 4 banger. I was going to say something until you corrected them. Thanks.

Also, being as your new to cars I wouldnt go off trying to do a turbo system right away. There is more than just slapping a turbo on a car and running it. I would do alot of reading and listen to some turbo gurus before going that route.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
God, thank you it was driving me crazy people calling it headers on a 4 banger. I was going to say something until you corrected them. Thanks.

Also, being as your new to cars I wouldnt go off trying to do a turbo system right away. There is more than just slapping a turbo on a car and running it. I would do alot of reading and listen to some turbo gurus before going that route.
x2!

and when you think youve done enough research. do some more. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yeah, it drives me nuts also! You will only have 2 headers on V style (V6,V8, etc) engines because there is a head on each side. Since your cobalt has an inline 4 cylinder, you only have one header.
+1 A turbo is no minor modification.. And it takes a lot of know how and knowledge to efficiently turbocharge an engine and keep it from blowing up lol So do some research before you jump into a modification such as this.. Or really any modification for that matter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great! Thanks everybody for the positive feedback! Im going to keep reading up on exhaust systems and a header and hopefully purchase one that is right for me and my car.
Thanks again for all the help! This forum rocks!
:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great! Thanks everybody for the positive feedback! Im going to keep reading up on exhaust systems and a header and hopefully purchase one that is right for me and my car.
Thanks again for all the help! This forum rocks!
:)
Really depends on how much you have to spend also as the others said i wouldnt recommend a turbo if your looking for a good bang for your buck go with the tsudo except for my minor problem i had with mine (was prolly a once in a lifetime screwup) other than that the tsudo is a GREAT exhaust. Its quiet on the startup, quiet on the idle, and loud when your going. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why you guys are saying a catback exhaust is good bang for your buck? It's actually no bang for your buck considering you are getting nearly zero hp gains from it just sound. Your money is much better spent on a header/dp combo where there are actual significant gains to be had. You should be able to gain about 10% hp with a good header/dp. That's bang for your buck. Catback exhausts are noisemakers, nothing more.

I'll never understand the obsession with catbacks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
IMA -- RedLine TV did a mod test with an 06 LS w/SAI and dynoed it stock, after a GMPP Performance Cat-Back Exhaust was installed, and then dynoed it with an InJen Intake installed. Stock it was 125 WHP, With the GMPP it gained 8 WHP, and with the InJen intake it gained another 7 WHP. With those two mods they got the WHP to 140. It increased in noise but the mods helped at the wheels too. I think the guy doing the work and dyno runs on the show was Jason Whitfield (sic?) -- who has one of the fastest Cobalts on the planet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.