Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I couldn’t stand my ‘wood grain’ trim anymore and decided to paint it white. This was my first time painting anything like this and I sanded down too far on some parts. I thought I primed it enough but I didn’t because after it dried for 3 hours I could see tan bleeding through in some parts :mad:

I already put a lot of coats on the pieces, so I’m not sure what to do… I was thinking I should either put a few more coats on, or sand it down and re-prime?? But I have no clue :unsure:… Have any advice? Thanks in advance.

It’s hard to see in this pic but it is really noticeable in person

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
ok camo haha

so is that just a pic of primer then? you have not painted it yet? I think I would try wet sanding it with 600 grit paper and go very lightly over the part that shows the brown and heavier every where else. then another coat of primer and make sure to get if very clean before spraying! prep work is the most important part of a paint job.

and now that I went back and re read it looks like you did actually paint it. yeah I still think you should sand it down just be very careful around the brown part and then prime it again.

·
Registered
575 Posts
ok camo haha

so is that just a pic of primer then? you have not painted it yet? I think I would try wet sanding it with 600 grit paper and go very lightly over the part that shows the brown and heavier every where else. then another coat of primer and make sure to get if very clean before spraying! prep work is the most important part of a paint job.

and now that I went back and re read it looks like you did actually paint it. yeah I still think you should sand it down just be very careful around the brown part and then prime it again.
indeed my friend make sure not to rush it those are your trim dash pieces and it's the first thing everybody sees so make sure to do it right and not "how fast" believe had to do the passenger side piece like 4 times literally and be really careful whit the tricky clear gloss:toung:

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

this is the guy I'm talking about first time didn't wait enough for the pain to settle and applied clear gloss so everything flaked!!:(

but this is the way it came out ...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did paint it & I did take my time... it took me most of the weekend to do. Everything was covered before I cleared it... so I thought it was ok.... So I should re-prime the whole piece, or just that part??

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes I did paint it & I did take my time... it took me most of the weekend to do. Everything was covered before I cleared it... so I thought it was ok.... So I should re-prime the whole piece, or just that part??
I would recommend do the whole thing specially is you used more than 2-3 coats of paint the reason it might look uneven or some lines would be visible, but that's if you want it to look professional done believe it's worth it:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha.. well I don't expect it to be perfect. But this paint job is becoming a pita :push:

I should've painted it purple... that color would have been more forgiving, lol.

·
Registered
575 Posts
haha.. well I don't expect it to be perfect. But this paint job is becoming a pita :push:

I should've painted it purple... that color would have been more forgiving, lol.
if you are a girl yeah purple have been the best option:toung: and tell me about it!!! maybe it's just me here was a couple of time when it looked good enough for the average standard but wanted it to be perfect even the smallest hair mark or line made me do it again the best part when it's already painted you just need to wet sand with 2000 or 1500 grit and you are ready to try it again

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes I'm a girl :toung: But I thought that much purple could look gaudy... so I'm doing it as an accent color instead. I guess I'll just keep trying until it looks halfway decent.

Well.. i've officially decided painting is not my forte. It was lookin' good until I cleared it.... back to square one!

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
looks very nice! I like how you didn't paint the little cross bar on the radio trim it gives it a unique look.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks Good, I would try to redo my trim but my friend decided he would do it himself while i was on vacation. and pretty he much totaled my trim, its chewed to hell, i don't think i can repair it, so i am looking at getting new trim

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
that is excellent. not really. lol did you know if he was any good at painting though? I'd never trust anyone to work on my car unless I had proof they were good at what they do lol.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i told him id do it when i came home and when i got back... and was like WHAT!!!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks very nice! I like how you didn't paint the little cross bar on the radio trim it gives it a unique look.
Thanks! I almost did paint the crossbar... but I was halfway done painting it when I thought of doing that.. so I took the lazy way out, hehe

Looks Good, I would try to redo my trim but my friend decided he would do it himself while i was on vacation. and pretty he much totaled my trim, its chewed to hell, i don't think i can repair it, so i am looking at getting new trim
Gracias! Sucks about your trim though.

Now I can't decide what color to paint the door trim pieces... purple or white?

·
Registered
567 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.