Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before anyone says to search, there wasn't that much info on the AEM CAI, I tried.

Anyways, I decided I want to put a CAI on my car. As far as I know, I can choose between AEM or Injen. I decided on AEM but I have some questions:

1. Is the AEM intake a really good intake? I checked the product reviews on this site but there wasn't one. Is it up there with the K&N Typhoon SRI?

2. I remember there being an intake on the AEM website for a 2.2L engine but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Why did they stop selling it and where would be the next best place to buy one?

3. Just how low does the AEM intake go? I heard this one is REALLY low to the ground and I was wondering if I should purchase a hydro shield for it?

4. Are there any other CAI I can look into besides those two? Why doesn't K&N make one?

Thanks! I have a 2.2L LS by the way.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot my most important question of all lol. I heard if you plan on TCing or SCing in the future, you shouldn't waste money on bolt ons because they will all need to be replaced. Can anyone explain why that is? Does an intake fall under that category or can I put one on my car and keep it there with all future mods?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a injen on mine

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I want to add, most people here have either the K&N Typhoon SRI or the Injen.
Yeah I'm figuring that out really fast. Which is weird because the AEM is a true CAI, one of the only ones you can get for a Cobalt. I also read AEM is one of the best aftermarket brands out there. That's why I was stunned by the lack of info on it.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Yeah I'm figuring that out really fast. Which is weird because the AEM is a true CAI, one of the only ones you can get for a Cobalt. I also read AEM is one of the best aftermarket brands out there. That's why I was stunned by the lack of info on it.
But then again, K&N is one of the best too :p
All I can say, is do your research, see more than what Cobalts have to say.
I checked many other car make forums as well.

If you do buy from somewhere, turbotechracing.com is a very legit place.
I ordered my K&N intake from there and got it 2 days later!
Also ordered my Eibach Sportlines lowering springs from there and they should be here today! :)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
theyre all good. im leaning to the aem but in a wet climate cai's are not always a good idea so i might get the k&n... something to keep in mind when you choose. also, remember the usual obvious of cai's get more power, especially in the higher rpms, and sri's usually get a tiny bit better torque and less power overall

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
EDIT: Oh I almost forgot my most important question of all lol. I heard if you plan on TCing or SCing in the future, you shouldn't waste money on bolt ons because they will all need to be replaced. Can anyone explain why that is? Does an intake fall under that category or can I put one on my car and keep it there with all future mods?
The AEM is an alright intake, but beware, the first ones they made were a one piece design and they were known to throw CEL's they have since redesigned it and they no longer throw CEL's IMO if you want a true CAI go with the Injen. but for a SRI K&N is the way to go!

As for bolt ons with a SC or TC, it really depends on what you are doing, If you plan on SCing the car you can do the entire exhaust (header/DP/Catback) but all the intake stuff will be replaced (intake, throttle body, intake manifold) if you plan on TCing, you could do a catback and thats about it..

So yes, an intake is a pointless mod if you plan on going F/I

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks OBZ. I really want the AEM one though, no one really has it and I like to be unique. I also hate the Injen intake, it looks like garbage IMO. I'll hunt one down. :smile1: Lets say I can't order it from the AEM website, which I can't. How do I know if I'm buying one of the older ones that throw CELs or a newer intake? I'd have to buy from an offbrand seller and was curious.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Thanks OBZ. I really want the AEM one though, no one really has it and I like to be unique. I also hate the Injen intake, it looks like garbage IMO. I'll hunt one down. :smile1: Lets say I can't order it from the AEM website, which I can't. How do I know if I'm buying one of the older ones that throw CELs or a newer intake? I'd have to buy from an offbrand seller and was curious.
Just be sure you are getting the 2 piece, and not the 1 piece design. If you are buying brand new you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
221 Posts
AEM's are great intakes. Not much of a difference between their quality and K&N's. Nice thing with AEM is the dryflow filter which I am personally a big fan of. I know the AEMs we have are the new design. I believe AEM recalled back all the original designed ones.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
^^^ do you know if all the 2.2 intakes are the same? Ive got an 09 and someone said with the change in motor the intakes wont fit... but others say it will

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
AEM's are great intakes. Not much of a difference between their quality and K&N's. Nice thing with AEM is the dryflow filter which I am personally a big fan of. I know the AEMs we have are the new design. I believe AEM recalled back all the original designed ones.
whats the difference between the AEM and injen filters?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I think injen has a wet filter to but i could be wrong

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have an AEM CAI on my car right now and I recommend it. Its all one piece unlike the injen and it comes with a dry flow filter. I am not sold on AEM's claim that their dry flow filter is better than any other oiled filter. I also polished my intake, inside and out.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
All intakes for the 2.2 and 2.4 will fit all years.. 05-09
k good. I cant remember who said it but supposedly the LAP had a different design. thanks for clearing it up

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes all 05-09 are the same... give me a call or shoot me a pm with what intake you are most interested in and we'll get you a good price on it. Either way you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Question. I know that the K&N intake was dyno proven for 6.6 HP. Are there any proven numbers for the AEM intake?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.