Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 Cobalt ls four door. I am getting an alarm/remote start installed, but this guy is tellign me I need a bypass module for another $60 or something like that. Does anyone know if this is true??? I dont have auto locks and my key doesnt have any chip in it or anything and I thought that was what the module was for to bypass that, can anyone help me here?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Does the 2005 have Passkey?? I have no power anything, it's just the base model. Also how does an after market alarm hook up to doors/ windows? With the more stuff I'm putting in my car I want some security.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It does depend on the alarm system any decent one should have pin switches for the doors, hood and trunk. As far as the windows go that depends on whether or not it has an impact sensor it would go off if one of the windows gets broken. Whatever you get just make sure you have it done at a good shop. There's nothing that can cause more problems than a badly installed alarm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
impossible but unless you've got experience with that kind of stuff not recommended especially since most alarms have a kill switch meaning that if the alarm goes off it kills the ignition until its disarmed and if thats done wrong nothing good can come of it. I would highly recommend checking the shops around you. especially if there are any good stereo shops around you. its definately not a job for a novice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was looking at getting an alarm installed on my car when I get home from deployment. I have the same set up, no power anything. I have a shop to go to already that installs with warrenties. They only offer viper alarm systems, but are willing to install a different brand if I get it. My question is, what brand would anyone recommend?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're just looking to install an alarm then there shouldn't be any real problems, but if you're putting in the remote start then you're definitely going to need dealer help(bypass).

Most alarms have you run a bump sensor and a wire to your interior lights... so if someone breaks a window then the alarm goes off, or if someone opens a door then it also goes off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the last alarm i got was alarm/keyless entry/remote start on my last car and it was 400 installed. my guess for just a regular alarm maybe 200, 300 at the very very most. dunno for sure its been awhile.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a keyless entry system for about $400 installed. I never really tried to break into my car to see if it would go off or not, I basically got it just for the remote. Its a Valet keyless entry and I love it. I believe it is made by Viper. They might or might not tell you this at the installer, but cobalts are hard to install alarms on if they don't have power locks. They sometimes break (mine did after a few months) but can be fixed easily. The guy that installed mine warrantied the stuff for free for life, try to find somebody like that, just in case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought an alarm/keyless entry/remote start system on ebay for around $60 and installed it myself on my Mustang... thing worked great for over two years while I had it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Best alarm you can get are these. Viper - Vehicle Security | Remote Start | GPS Tracking Check your local shops to see who carries them, the best of the best. But when installing an alarm, the alarm is only as good as the install, make sure you get it done at a realiable shop. bad alarm means lots of problems. The vip alarm with keyless entry, remote start, alarm, and 2 way pager only costed 100$ for install at every place i checked out. (100 for the install 400 for the system)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Viper alarm systems are really nice, I have one installed on my car with remote start. Did cost some money and time, but only because they needed the bypass to get the remote start to work. The reason why I got mine was the fact that when my car was broken into the alarm didn't go off (criminal shattered my window), I went to the dealer to ask why it didn't go off and apparently they only go off when the car is being forced to open, so I wanted the upgrade to eliminate that potential problem.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
So if my father is VERY electronically inclined is this job more... possible... don't know the word I'm looking for lol? He's been working in electronics, making circuit boards and such, even some for the military, for 30+ years. Also did lots of stuff with vehicles in the Army but that was in the 60s, mostly mechanics though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is a diagram for you

12volts (+) red/blk 50amp BCM/c3/pin D1

Ignition 1 (+) yellow ign. harness/ or bcm/c4/ pin D3

Power lock and unlock (-)
white - driver kick or bcm/c1/ pin 7
lock is straight - trigger, unlock - trigger thru 1500ohm resistor
must use relays

parking lights (-) brown/white switch or bcm/c2/ pin 5

trunk release (-) tan switch or bcm/c2/ pin 10

trunk pin switch (-) orange/black pin switch or bcm/c1/ pin 55

left and right door bcm/ c1
triggers (-) LF door gray/black pin 22
RF door tan/white pin 19
LR door blue/black pin 1
RR door green/blk pin 20
must diode isolate each wire seperately

this should be enough for an alarm, i suggest you have a pro do it. I have been doing this for years. I was also a mechanic for 5 years, they still don't know crap about electronics. Electricians are meant to wire houses. I have seen alot of junk work out there. Be careful with who you have install your stuff.

I run a Viper 560 alarm remote start on my cobalt. All of them: python, viper, valet, rattler, etc.... are made by D.E.I... Directed Electronics. Great stuff, worthless techs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.