Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have had my old system from my last car(wrecked) laying around. Aftermarket deck(alpine CDA-9955 if I remember correct, the one with the BioLite display),kicker amp. 10 inch sub. Now, a while back I had went to a local place (Ricky Smith's Audio for anyone from around here) and they quoted me a little over $400 just for installing the deck. He said I would need a special harness($150) plus something about some other special wiring junk(like 200 bucks, EDIT: now i remember it was to retain my steering wheel controls)and then installation all eqauled up to about 400(my car is an 07, pioneer sound system). Well that was a bit too much for my wallet at the time so I just left and havnt messed with it since.

Now, I have some money again and was wondering if that's about how much it should cost, because I went there to get that same deck installed in my 06 nissan sentra and it only cost me about 120 after installation, wiring and whatnot so what is it about my 07 cobalt that costs so damn much?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, between the mounting stuff, wiring harness and whatever they need to wire up the steering wheel controls it was running me around 350 before labor, does that sound right?

Thanks for replying :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm thinking, I mean I don't mind paying extra for whatever they need to hook em up, but 200 bucks? sheesh that's like highway robbery

And what about the harness? they said its some special harness and the only one that can be used with my car and it was 150, seems a bit excessive too but I think I can deal with it

·
Registered
720 Posts
You can definitely find everything for less...you could get it all said and done for probably $200...depends on if you do it yourself as well...head unit install is one of the easiest things to do.

If I had time and patience, I could list everything you need and give you links on where to get it cheaper...my suggestion is to go to Crutchfield's website and enter your car and they'll give you a list of things you need...then take those part numbers and search amazon, ebay or just on google for best prices.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That does sound to high. Try buying your wiring harness and dash kit and all your other parts off of Ebay or maybe Amazon. I bought my harness and dash kit off of Ebay and it saved me some money. All of my parts are Scosche and mine was installed by Best Buy, I believe I paid a little over $200.

·
Registered
678 Posts
try like best buy if your local one has a car install bay

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yea man keep getting quotes or find a friend that is good with that kinda stuff. My old roomate did mine for a case of beer. So basically i paid $15 for him to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.