Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so WTF???!!!!! Am i Doing something wrong? Everytime i put in an aftermarket Intake My check Engine light comes on with code P0171 (Bank 1, System Too Lean) Did anybody have this problem with the AIR INTAKE?? Im thinking that there is not proper mixture so it could eather be bad fuel injectors, or need to change the Fuel FIlter, Or maybe the teh MAFS is defective..... BUT WHY THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH THE AFTERMARKET INTAKE????? When i put the regular intake the code desapears...Ive been swtiching back and forth for the last 4 weeks.. Guys i really want to know what you guys think????

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea.... what Aftermarket Intake are you running ? ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried a K&N and then I made one based on Spectre modules... I returned the K&N! But it did it it with both of them anyways!!! It's a 05 Cobalt Base. Ohh also tried checking for leaks but appears to be None....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, i had the same problem a while back. First things first, reflash your computer or reset it or something. Normally this can happen when your computer needs to be reconfigured cuz there is a change in the air flow.

Also check for leaks. My problem was a small nudge in the clamp over the throttle body and it made me throw a light.
If its the same problem as i had, do this. cycle through your in dash things (miles per gallon and all that stuff) and see if your coolant light is coming up with no numbers. Then its the same problem. Reflash your computer and check for leaks. If not go back to Kand N and dont make your own. if you have SAI your screwed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
^^doesn't matter what intake....what year is your car?
it does matter.

Oiled filters often come to oiled from the manufacture, dry filters wont do this. Disconnect your MAF sensor spray with electronics cleaner or MAF cleaner. Let it COMPLETELY dry, re-connect it, pull the neg from the battery cable and re attach it to reset the comp. Then go test it out, even if the light stays on for a lil, it takes a bit for it to turn off sometimes because the comp. needs to re-calibrate itself.

no worries man

obviously check for leaks but im sure its the sensor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same problem with my car, and my friend's honda also did the same thing. It's not a problem at all. The reason why the check engine light comes on is because your car is now sucking on more air than the computer was originally programmed for. It's a common thing. In my friends honda, his reset itself. My car still hasn't reset, but I'm not to worried about it. I'll reset the thing when I get a chip. No worries, it's normal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
it does matter.

Oiled filters often come to oiled from the manufacture, dry filters wont do this. Disconnect your MAF sensor spray with electronics cleaner or MAF cleaner. Let it COMPLETELY dry, re-connect it, pull the neg from the battery cable and re attach it to reset the comp. Then go test it out, even if the light stays on for a lil, it takes a bit for it to turn off sometimes because the comp. needs to re-calibrate itself.

no worries man

obviously check for leaks but im sure its the sensor.
No it doesn't....

The oiled filter is fine just take off the business end of the battery cable for ATLEAST 15min....it will take about 10 start ups before it goes away. This is especially true because of the E16A ECU that you have....which sucks donkey ass BTW cause it's so picky about it's AFR. I've never heard of K&N "over oiling" the product THEY make, did you get the right one? I know they make one for the 2.2L and the 2.4L. If you want you could try an AEM or Injen next LOL:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK guys so i reset it yesterday again.... we gunna try it again.... later on today im gunna check for leaks again.... altough aparently there is none.... Ohh im gunna take pictures today to show you guys what i invented, since i returned the K&N i did Spectre modules .... I'm in the process of buying a Fujita so who nows!! BUT I GOTTA ADMIT THE BATTERY THING I DID NOT TRY!! Anyways i let you guys know by Monday what happens!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
^^doesn't matter what intake....what year is your car?
Actually ... it does ...AEM originally came out with a 2 piece CAI and when the air would run through the piping it would get caught up in the joint connector and the MAF sensor would read that the motor was taking in too much air / running lean so this would trigger the CEL to come on. Then AEM came out with the 1 piece design and had those who had the 2 piece intake send theirs in for the 1 piece desgin that would not trigger the CEL.

Chester added 8 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

OK guys so i reset it yesterday again.... we gunna try it again.... later on today im gunna check for leaks again.... altough aparently there is none.... Ohh im gunna take pictures today to show you guys what i invented, since i returned the K&N i did Spectre modules .... I'm in the process of buying a Fujita so who nows!! BUT I GOTTA ADMIT THE BATTERY THING I DID NOT TRY!! Anyways i let you guys know by Monday what happens!!
You really should have tried to reset the battery , it does work , you should have given it a shot ...i have heard that the K&N filter is commonly over oiled so maybe that could be the issue....As far as my preference i like the AEM CAI system and it is nice cause it has the Dryflo filter

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually ... it does ...AEM originally came out with a 2 piece CAI and when the air would run through the piping it would get caught up in the joint connector and the MAF sensor would read that the motor was taking in too much air / running lean so this would trigger the CEL to come on. Then AEM came out with the 1 piece design and had those who had the 2 piece intake send theirs in for the 1 piece desgin that would not trigger the CEL.

Chester added 8 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

You really should have tried to reset the battery , it does work , you should have given it a shot ...i have heard that the K&N filter is commonly over oiled so maybe that could be the issue....As far as my preference i like the AEM CAI system and it is nice cause it has the Dryflo filter
Actually no it doesn't....He's not even using a AEM what does that have to do w/ his thread??? If the car is throwing cels w/ different intakes chances are it's not the intakes....consider not giving out false info pleas...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Actually no it doesn't....He's not even using a AEM what does that have to do w/ his thread??? If the car is throwing cels w/ different intakes chances are it's not the intakes....consider not giving out false info pleas...
hahahaha

ok so when i put my injen on it threw a cel i cleaned the sensor and it worked...twice now i have done this in about 2 years. My past trucks, same thing. but there is no arguing with "cocky" people
there usually completely ignorant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
cel

Getting the cel is normal if you didnt disconnect the battery while installation. i gotta admit, i did. so I disconnected the battery and afte 15 starts, the cel disappeared. Pretty much, that code is telling you that the car is sucking up more air then before. Disconnecting the battery, the ecu will recalculate the amount of air coming in and it also adjusts the amount of fuel to mix with the air.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you were prolly to high you screwed up the sensor yourself and blamed it on the intake....obviously those bad experiences have not led you to stop buying intakes since your still buying them right?

my sensors have never failed and work fine with no re-occurring Cel's

if re-setting it throws a CEL later on, cleaning the MAF is the next step

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
anger management is right, lol

chester and codyak have been here long enough to know a thing or two Alpha. Please dont go around acting like you know more than people on everything.

Some of us *cough*codyak*cough* know alot about this kind of issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
anger management is right, lol

chester and codyak have been here long enough to know a thing or two Alpha. Please dont go around acting like you know more than people on everything.

Some of us *cough*codyak*cough* know alot about this kind of issue.
i never said i knew more than anyone back on topic....i say just try the reset...after about 10 start ups it should get used to the intake...

·
Registered
169 Posts
i never said i knew more than anyone......

back on topic....i say just try the reset...after about 10 start ups it should get used to the intake...
kids? Man, im older then you! haha
and kobaltcrazy contributes to the site, hes actually the top poster on the site and ive been here over a year, although all our posts were deleted...as you would know if you have been here as long as us.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
kids? Man, im older then you! haha
and kobaltcrazy contributes to the site, hes actually the top poster on the site and ive been here over a year, although all our posts were deleted...as you would know if you have been here as long as us.
hey, thnx codyak, btw, the k and the c are backwards, lol

i have a custom made SRI and the SAI, all i did is plug the second SAI with a small breather filter, and set the MAF sensor as far back from the air filter as is with the factory filter, and never got a CEL. Now, the A/M Filter i used is a dry filter, so i cant help if your filter is oiled, but my car never threw a CEL.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ya man, my injen filter threw cells so did K&N main reason, they are oiled. Having that MAF so close to the sensor exposes it to anything that might get in there. I replaced it with a dry flow filter and just like you man, never got a cel

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.