Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my airbox cover/lid not fully closed for about a day or so, and I really loved the sound I was getting from my car! It sounded more throaty!

The Cover wasn't open a lot just enough to have a bit of more air flow and it created more noise. I want to open it back up again and dont really want to do the air box mod because I dont have time.

My question is, Im wondering if its safe? the lid/ cover was still clipped in and sturdy.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Removing the air intake cost nothing. If you don't close the lid tightly you won't be filtering the air leaking in.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Airbox mod the lower half. That's free.

Then hack off the bottom portion of the lower part of the box where the filter sits in so the bottom part of the panel filter is exposed to the air. That's free.

Then get a ZZP intake tube. That'll give you actual gains and still look basically stock. That's not free, but...

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Airbox mod the lower half. That's free.

Then hack off the bottom portion of the lower part of the box where the filter sits in so the bottom part of the panel filter is exposed to the air. That's free.

Then get a ZZP intake tube. That'll give you actual gains and still look basically stock. That's not free, but...

So, would that technically make it a SRI?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It is still a CAI at that point because it is still sucking air from outside the heated engine bay and there is no ramming.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Not that a ramming effect per say would really make any difference. I also gutted the bottom of the box, so...the tube isn't there directed at the hole in the lower portion of the bay to pull air from the wheel well. Being on coils, I wasn't really wanting the elements the engine bay could have been exposed to get a direct path to the air filter...giving it a little more room between the tire and the bay...if that makes sense.

I did a conical setup as well into the wheel well, the car was louder under WOT...but I felt no difference at all.

So, I went back to the stock box. It's cleaner that way, too.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yup.

They're out of stock.

But good luck getting a reply that's worth anything when you e-mail them.

I'll sell you mine for $99.99 shipped, lollllllllllllllllllllll.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.