Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry to say that my 2005 Cobalt is no more. After years of service to the tune of 243000 miles, we were traveling along I-95 from Richmond, VA to Washington DC this past Labor Day while visiting my mother-in-law who's in the hospital in Richmond. The wife wanted to go to to DC for sightseeing, so that Sunday we were cruising along near mile marker 116.2 when a semi in the right lane lost it's restraining bolt. It went under my Cobalt, and rattled along the bottom. I pulled over and noticed antifreeze and transmission fluid just gushing out!. Other cars had their tires shredded, mine was the only one with under-carriage damage.

The semi also pulled over, so the wife was able to get pictures and all the other information. AAA towed the car back to exit 110, where it stayed until I could get it towed back to an insurance approved repair facility in Richmond. And we had to get back to Toledo that Tuesday in the rental car provided by the insurance company.

1 week later, the body shop called back with estimate of $4000...needed radiator, transmission, and engine cradle! Insurance called a couple of days later and said the car was totaled.

Now I am the proud owner of a 2012 Chevy Cruze!! Very impressive. But I do miss my baby :(.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
To bad, what was the insurance pay out on a 2005 Cobalt if you don't mind telling?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
To bad, what was the insurance pay out on a 2005 Cobalt if you don't mind telling?
Good question, if I ever "slip" off the road it would be nice to have a rough idea ;)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Buddy of mines wife snagged up a '11 1.4T Cruze A6 with they first came out. All it has is a ZZP intake.

It got beat by my N/A Balt...that thing ran a 16.9.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About $5054...considering all the miles on her I was very surprised.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Let us know how you like the Cruze, pick-up, etc
So far, very impressed...I like the pickup of the turbo...barely notice it...very quiet on the highway...will find out soon what the gas mileage is on trip down to Cincy to visit my son and granddaughter

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My daughter and I tried the Cruze before we bought the Cobalt. Trust me we didn't buy the Cobalt because it was nicer. That Cruze RS was so nice but about 20,000$ more than the Cobalt. So no brainer

Bet U it rides nicer than the Civic

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well, it wasn't design or manufactured by GM, I mean they do assemble it in the USA now but the car is a DaeWoo Lacetti from Korea, not saying that's good or bad but the Koreans now build pretty good cars (KIA, Hyundai) and I will dare say better than the Honda.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
We're glad to hear that everybody's okay! Semis are no joke! Although you're missing your Cobalt, we're also glad to hear that you're enjoying your new Cruze. Let me know if you have any questions about your new vehicle.

Take care!
Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
74 Posts
Was your car a total loss?

I had a 2005 with 220k miles (also a beast) . . . i was rear ended and got smashed up in the front, they're estimating it next week . . . I was encouraged by what you got back . . . What insurance company If i may ask?

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Nvm, it was a total loss, just read the rest . . sorry :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.