Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have gone to two alignment places and no one seems to be able to solve this issue. Please help!

Just got this one done today..

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Dont know why the first one is upside down but if you click on it it will take you to my photobucket and its the correct way.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Try rotating the tires they could be worn different and make sure the PSI in all of them is correct.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I don't like how the second one has rear toe out of adjustment... that concerns me quite a bit. That would throw off your thrust angle for sure and cause you to pull. As far as the other ones, your negative toe on the front would put a partial drag on that one tire, but it would more cause a pull to the left not right. Also, why didn't they zero the measurement or were you just having the alignment checked?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The second one their alignment machine was off after they aligned the car so I have to go back to brakes plus to get things re aligned. Already rotated the tires multiple times. its not the tires. Thats also what they said the car should pull to the left not the right with those numbers.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

The car pulls to the right slightly constantly. when you let go off the steering wheel and brake hard the car will pull to the right much quicker. I think I may have solved the pull tho. Checked my brakes and they were slightly rubbing on the rotor so I took my drivers side wheel off and noticed the my guide pin on top of my caliper was broken off. So I just replaced the guide pins on both sides and greased the f out of them because the grease was thick and black on them. Ill have t drive it awhile but I think it might of solved the issue. I think the brakes are still slightly rubbing still tho. Could it be the calipers themselves???

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Car is lowered so I know the camber will be off

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has the car ever been in a wreck? Sorry if you already posted that information. Barring any bent or warped suspension components(I know you already mentioned that your suspension is kosher) or out of wack cradle or frame pieces you should be able to bring the car as close to possible to specs given you are still lowered. If nothing is out of wack from side to side on your car,i.e. suspension, frame, unibody..., left and right alignment should match closely unless something is out of wack with the alignment shop's machine still. You might need to go to a specialized frame and alignment shop, a decent one won't charge you out the wazoo to bring it close to specs as possible.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
There is ALWAYS a slight drag on the brakes on drums and rotors, so soight drags are fine, however if youre hearing and or feeling the drag then it is too much. If you think it is the caliper, pull the guide pin bolts and pull off the caliper and try to compress the piston back in. If it moves youre good, if not, you have issues (some wont move by hand alone, it is normal to use a pair of large channel locks or a C-clamp to compress them back in). By compressing them you can check for good movement. When you reinstall, just make sure you press the brake pedal like 15 times before starting or moving your can to "readjust" the brakes.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I will be doing this sometime next week. tired of trying to solve this problem. Need a break lol. Love how no mechanic could figure out this problem and Im pretty sure it was the guide pins and the calipers. How do you miss a bolt being broken!? I had my tires off my car multiple times at these places..... Car brakes straight now. Its just hard to see if the car is still pulling because Colorado has no flat straight roads really

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
usually a shop when doing an alignment or anything steering related wont even look at other systems (brakes in this case)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.