Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so many of you know I recently installed Eibach Sportlines to my 2.2L LS.
When I first installed, the steering wheel was cocked to the right and driving straight.
I went to get an alignment and after, it PULLED to the right.
I then got it aligned AGAIN and they printed out all of the specs and said it was perfectly aligned. Keep in mind, it still pulls to the right. They guys at the dealership tried everything they said. Swapped tires, aligned twice, they couldnt figure it out. Ive got brand new tires too.

Now, when Im driving and when I let go of steering wheel, the car pulls to the right, BAD.

What is the deal with this? The dealership said, "That could happen when you install aftermarket parts to your suspension."

What do I do guys?!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wow man, I don't have that problem. I had my alignment done after I get my springs installed and I have no problems. You have tried everything that I can think of, so I am confused on this one just like you. I hope you get it worked out soon.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow man, I don't have that problem. I had my alignment done after I get my springs installed and I have no problems. You have tried everything that I can think of, so I am confused on this one just like you. I hope you get it worked out soon.
Yeah man, I dont know what to do. And I cant stand how bad its pulling.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd take it somewhere else. Ask to have the steering wheel centered along with the alignment. Maybe they were lazy or incompetent?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah take it somewhere else and make sure that the install was done properly and also make sure that nothing was damaged while your springs were being installed.

·
Say What again!
6,292 Posts
I bought my car from Enterprise with 27k on the clock (so yes, it was a rental).

I have to hold the wheel a bit to the left to make it drive straight. Man, if I center that sucker on the freeway - I can change lanes quick! Nothing like turning the steering wheel straight to change lanes to the right - or turn on the freeway!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
that sucks dude
this is 1 reason i don't want to lower because i don't wanna run into problems
my car pulls.
i did a hands free lane change a few months ago
i think my wheels need to be balanced or i need an alignment

·
Registered
810 Posts
did u guys install them yourselfs?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Wow, yeah, id take it someplace else.... just a quick spring install shouldnt have messed w/ it that much................

·
Registered
240 Posts
Was a proper four wheel alignment done, or just a front end alignment?

I take it the Chevrolet dealership performed the alignment?

Ask them when the last time their alignment equipment was calibrated, as if it hasn't been recently, the alignment machine can get out of calibration.

Has anyone checked the air pressure in the tires to be certain it is equal at all four wheel positions?

For a front wheel drive car to pull from being out of alignment, it is has to be waaaaayyyy out of specification. The more you drive the car in this condition, a wear pattern will develop in the tires and the tires will wear out faster than they should.

Ok, so many of you know I recently installed Eibach Sportlines to my 2.2L LS.
When I first installed, the steering wheel was cocked to the right and driving straight.
I went to get an alignment and after, it PULLED to the right.
I then got it aligned AGAIN and they printed out all of the specs and said it was perfectly aligned. Keep in mind, it still pulls to the right. They guys at the dealership tried everything they said. Swapped tires, aligned twice, they couldnt figure it out. Ive got brand new tires too.

Now, when Im driving and when I let go of steering wheel, the car pulls to the right, BAD.

What is the deal with this? The dealership said, "That could happen when you install aftermarket parts to your suspension."

What do I do guys?!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
damn! this is kinda making me gun shy about lowering it... hope you get it figured out

·
Registered
869 Posts
Did they recalibrate the steering wheel torque sensor compensation? Thats what it sounds like. Or do this, park on a flat level surface and center your steering wheel. Then take a pic of the front tires at ground level, post it here. If it's out of alignment i'll tell you. If not then its another problem.

But my money is on a failure to recalibrate torque sensor compensation.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How in blue blazes are you going to visually determine if a car is out of alignment for example, by 1 degree? Takes a computerized alignment machine to do that.

Did they recalibrate the steering wheel torque sensor compensation? Thats what it sounds like. Or do this, park on a flat level surface and center your steering wheel. Then take a pic of the front tires at ground level, post it here. If it's out of alignment i'll tell you. If not then its another problem.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ok, sounds like a plan. Ill do this soon!

·
Registered
931 Posts
a really bad pull sounds like a Caster issue...... id take it somewhere else..eather that or u have a bad tire pull

·
Registered
869 Posts
a really bad pull sounds like a Caster issue...... id take it somewhere else..eather that or u have a bad tire pull
Caster does not cause a pull. Caster can cause a slight drift or lead, but not a pull, the only way it could cause a true pull is if there were a serious variation between caster angles on both sides, one side being severely negative. A pull is either positive camber or a bad toe angle.

Seriously man, call them up and ask if the calibrated the steering wheel torque sensor after the alignment.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.