Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own a 2007 2.2 ls coupe and don't really get on here much unless I'm having trouble but I was hoping to get someone's opinion today. My lights (only noticeable at dark) flicker! All interior and exterior, everything ! Will flicker when car is at a stop or driving down the road. Really weird don't have any idea why this happening. Battery connections are nice and tight. don't know what's happening.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Coby, you think the ground needs to be cleaned on this one?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
How is your engine running at idle? If it is idling rough and oscillates 500-900rpm your alternator will switch on and off so voltage will go from 12.3 to 14.6volts. So lights will flicker from bright to dim. But if your engine idles nice and smooth @ 750rpm and your light still flicker then you might have a bad regulator in your alternator or like Blackbalts says a bad ground connection that needs cleaning. What kind of mileage? Have you ever had the throttle body cleaned?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to be running 500-900 just under the 1000 mark but always above 500. I just recently cleaned the throttle body I'll check it out again to see how it looks thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just hit 90k by the way I think I'm going to go have the alternator and ground looked at to see what's going on here

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Try putting a voltmeter on the battery and watch the voltage while the car is running. It should be 14.2-14.5 while running. If it keeps jumping then you're regulator or alternator is going out (aka the brushes are worn down which is normal wear and tear on alternators). If it stays the same, but the lights keep flickering, check your negative battery connection, as well as your chassis ground strap/wire, as the battery/alternator not being grounded completely will cause the lights to do the same thing.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
CobaltLover07,

Were you able to find anything since your last post? If there is anything that I can look into with the resources I have here (warranty/recall information, assisting in working with a dealership), please let me know!

Sarah, GM Customer Service

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.