Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got into the car audio stuff last year. I currently have a system in my cobalt now. I'm looking to upgrade it really soon. But i see people have some nice stuff. My question is how many watts can the amp be to not be too much on the stock alternator and battery? The car is a 2008 Cobalt special edition two door if that helps you any.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well i have a 1200 watt amp running about 900 watts in a 2ohm load with a 1farad cap..and the headlights still dim. so idk if that tells you anything

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
definetly go with an optima battery and add a capacitor, a new high output alternator wouldn't be a bad idea either
the route im going. if you can afford a Kinetik or Shuriken i'd go with them. and a new high output alternator. with that i'll prolly gain another decibel lol

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
lol, i was serious about the db gain though.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
oh yeah i believe you, i just wanted to be a douche about things though lol, although what happens if you put on a high power alternator but don't have all that extra stereo stuff, is it possible to overcharge your battery?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i'm actually not sure. it could maybe? never thought about it because i am in need of both.

·
Registered
455 Posts
your battery shouldn't overcharge. i dont think. no real knowledge right here, just a guess really lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't buy anything Optima...number one they are too tall for the floor and will push your carpet/cardboard up in the trunk. Number 2 the quality isn't anywhere near what it used to be 10 years ago. There are a lot of better batteries for the price (or maybe less).

·
Registered
455 Posts
well i was thinking of getting a pioneer PRS-D2200T 2 channel amp. they said its energy saving and doesnt take as much power as a conventional 1200 watt amp. this would be ok wouldnt it?
yeah that should be fine. you shouldnt run into any problems there

·
Registered
11 Posts
there is little to no chance of overcharging the battery, as long as the voltage regulator is working properly on the alternator. the regulator only sends voltage to the battery when it drops below a certain voltage, usually somewhere in the mid 13v. gotta remember that the whole car is running off of the alternator when the engine is on and not the battery. when you are selecting an amp make sure that you are checking the RMS watts and not the Peak wattage. RMS wattage is all that matters. depending on the type of sub(s) you are running you shouldnt need that much wattage. i ran a pair of JL 12WS3 in a band pass on 300 watts to the Pair and still produced more than enough bass. i could go on forever.....but.... how big of an alternator were you thinking of getting, and how big of a cap? If you are worried about the lights flickering then get a larger cap 10 farad or more, even better get what is called a batcap. these things are sweet and are about the same price as larger caps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i also forgot that buying an optima is not a bad choice or similar deep cycle batteries. you will really only notice the difference in how long tha battery lasts. if you run the stereo with the car off it drains the battery, obviously. but the deep cycle battery can be discharged all the way and charged back up to full capacity without damaging the battery. conventional batteries will have a short life if they are drained all the way. if you dont run the stereo with engine off all the time, the optima or like battery may not be as crucial as people think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh yeah i forgot to mention that when selecting an Amp, the most important factor when choosing how many watts to get is the actual sub(s) or speakers. if you dont give them enough wattage then they can get damaged when turned up loud from distortion, if you have too much then you can blow them up. try to get an amp that meets the RMS ratings for the speakers.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.