Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to do some research and find an answer for the past few days but haven't gotten a for sure answer. I recently put an engine into a 2006 Chevy Cobalt with a 2.2. After getting it running I have noticed that the battery light is on and the alternator is not charging. I was pretty convinced it needed a new alternator until I pulled this picture up on Alldata about the wiring diagram for the alternator. It seems that this alternator is supposed to have a wire that connects the alternator to the starter? When I replaced the starter yesterday I definitely only connected the positive connection because I did not see the second connector running from the alternator.

The wire in question on the diagram is wire number 1. The only wire that I have connected to the starter in that spot is number 5.

My questions are these:

Is there supposed to be a connection running from the alternator to the starter?
And if there is, and it is not connected, would that stop the alternator from charging?

Thank you!
Font Art Auto part Circle Drawing

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes on wire from the alternator’s output to the starters battery terminal.
There should also be a wire from the starter battery terminal up the the jumper post at the fuse block. At the jumper post at the fuse block, there is a heavy wire that runs all the way back to the trunk to the battery.

So electrically, the alternator output connects to the battery via a jumper wire to the starter and jumper post then to the battery.....long way around the barn
The wire labeled #5 is the wire from the starter to jumper post at the fuse block, #4&#5 connect to the same terminal on the starter’s solenoid.
The big question is ...is there anything connected to your alternators output at #1?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts