Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2009 Co alt for $300 hat that has just over 65k mileage engine runs excellent but it will.not shift Into any gear or even .make any clicks, ticks , hums or noise of any kind when attempting to shift info drive or any other lower gears and reverse, This vehicle looks brand new inside and out my neighbor thought her transmission has went out and she was going to sell it to a scrapper for $175 just to get it out of her driveway and free up her only parking space for a new vehicle she is planning to by before her work week begins Monday. I know absolutely zilch about fixing anything mechanical but figured at the worst I may have to spend $1000 to have the issue diagnosed and repaired. . Any insight or theories as to what may be. causing the problem and any idea if I just bought myself a $300 headache or was this a good investment that I will be able to profit off of even if worse case scenario I can't get it repaired and I sell the motor windshield cat converter doors and body panels? Any idea what it's worth as it is or what parts I should sell to make maximum profit with least effort or land labor expenses???

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does the engine start? If so it sounds like the shift lock is not releasing. It wants to see the brake pedal depressed before it releases. Troubleshoot that first. Worst case remove the console and disable the shift lock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well considering used cars are up so much, it would probably worth getting the transmission rebuilt. I doubt you will find a running vehicle for less than $2k. Plan on a long wait for a fix though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a 2009 Co alt for $300 hat that has just over 65k mileage engine runs excellent but it will.not shift Into any gear or even .make any clicks, ticks , hums or noise of any kind when attempting to shift info drive or any other lower gears and reverse, This vehicle looks brand new inside and out my neighbor thought her transmission has went out and she was going to sell it to a scrapper for $175 just to get it out of her driveway and free up her only parking space for a new vehicle she is planning to by before her work week begins Monday. I know absolutely zilch about fixing anything mechanical but figured at the worst I may have to spend $1000 to have the issue diagnosed and repaired. . Any insight or theories as to what may be. causing the problem and any idea if I just bought myself a $300 headache or was this a good investment that I will be able to profit off of even if worse case scenario I can't get it repaired and I sell the motor windshield cat converter doors and body panels? Any idea what it's worth as it is or what parts I should sell to make maximum profit with least effort or land labor expenses???
I saw where Chevy has figured out another flaw to this car - it might or might not be your problem but it's worth a look:
  • POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:LEVER AND LINKAGE:COLUMN SHIFT Recall for 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt
    • Recall Announced MARCH 06 2009
    • NHTSA Reference #09V073000
    • Number Affected 276,729
  • Summary: General Motors is recalling 276,729 MY 2009 Buick enclave, Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu, traverse, GMC acadia, Pontiac G5, G6 and Saturn aura and outlook passenger vehicles. These vehicles fail to comply with federal motor vehicles safety standard 102, "transmission shift position sequence, starter interlock, and transmission braking effect", and FMVSS 114, "theft protection and rollaway prevention". on some of these vehicles, the transmission shift cable adjustment clip may not be fully engaged. If the clip is not fully engaged, the shift lever and the actual position of the transmission gear may not match. With this condition, the drive could move the shifter to "park" and remove the ignition key, but the transmission gear may not be in "park".
    Consequence: The driver may not be able to restart the vehicle and the vehicle could roll away after the driver has exited the vehicle, resulting in a possible crash without prior warning.
    Fix: Dealers will inspect and ensure that the shift cable adjustment clip is fully engaged. In the event that the clip does not engage, the shift cable will be replaced free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on or before March 24, 2009. Owners may contact Buick at 1-866-608-8080, Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438, GMC at 1-866-996-9463, Pontiac at 1-800-620-7668 and Saturn at 1-800-972-8876 or at www.gmownercenter.com.
    For detailed information & supporting documents, see the official NHTSA page concerning recall #09V073000 »

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would be willing to bet its the 3 servos in the tranny. There is only one way to check the tranny fluid in those and i know she never checked it. You can buy all three servos for less than 100. And replacing them is quite easy if you have any mechanical skills at all. the reason they go is there in a constant tranny fluid bath and if the fluid ran low the highest servo goes first and so on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts