Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the ambient light sensor does it come out from the top of the dash or do I need to remove the instrument cluster?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I've never heard of one going bad, are you sure it's the sensor? I'll look it up on the GM server and get back to this thread.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the bright Florida sunshine my headlights stay on all of the time in auto . If I tap on the sensor the head lights will go out, then I covered the sensor and they came back on as they should but they will not go out when uncovered. That is why I assumed it was the sensor or a loose wire attached to the sensor..

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
If you tap it and it works, I'd be more willing to blame the connection than the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Plus the way it works, it doesn't react right away. It has a bit of a hysteresis curve otherwise lights would come on and off every time you would hit a shadowed area. There's about a 40 second delay. Also if the lights were on when you last shut it off at night and you turn your car on in the morning in full daylight the lights will come on and stay on for about 40 seconds until your car is sure you're actually in daylight and not in a lit parking garage. Kinda neat actually.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either the connection or sensor I still need to access the plug end so I ordered a new one just in case, less then 10 bucks for AC Delco. I did take the time delay into affect when I did my testing , Will update this once I get access this weekend .

Thanks again this site has been great for the few issues I have had with this car currently at 118,000 miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:grin2: Replacing the sensor corrected the problem, I only had to remove the drivers side window garnish trim and lift up the grill to access the connection. The old sensor broke apart when I twisted it to unlock from the grill. the wiring connection was clean and tight.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Wow! That is really surprising that the sensor was the culprit, though honestly, anything can happen - and it did. I just replaced a wheel bearing making a noise that nobody would ever think was caused by that.

Glad to hear you fixed it. Must've been the sun baking it over and over - I touched the plastic dome light cover in my '81 Camaro, which has sat in the LA sun all it's life, and it literally just shattered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.