Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we have the ambient lighting system from the new Buick Lacrosse. I am thinking about doing something like this. I have been seeing a lot of interior lighting done with LEDs, but I don't really like them as well as this. The light here looks very uniform, and does not look like it's done with regular LED lights.

Anyone know what this is done with?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Try the individual led bulbs and wire one at a time. That might give you a better "glow" than the standard bright led bars and strips. idk

·
Registered
199 Posts
el wire is a thin electroluminescent wire that looks like neon when hooked to a power source. you pretty much super glue it in place or use some other clear type glue but its some neat looking stuff i helped a friend put some in his camaro

·
Registered
931 Posts
el wire is a thin electroluminescent wire that looks like neon when hooked to a power source. you pretty much super glue it in place or use some other clear type glue but its some neat looking stuff i helped a friend put some in his camaro
Is that stuff hard to install? Ive seen it for sale just wasn't sure how it all works and hooks up...

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I also like that. they may have had some help with photoshop in that pic though lol.

The malibu has some really nice lights in the door handle bezel though and I wanna do that with my car. I am also looking for a nice clean glow to make the interior classy and not "ricey"

·
Registered
911 Posts
its hard to do it to the doorhandle bezel cuz once u pop it off, there's more behind it...not really enough room for the back of a LED...unless u drill a hole in the piece behind the piece

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

or get a neon tube
Nah, gonna stay away from the Honda rice thing on this one. Looking for a low even glow.

I also like that. they may have had some help with photoshop in that pic though lol.

We went and saw one in person, and it looked even better.

The malibu has some really nice lights in the door handle bezel though and I wanna do that with my car. I am also looking for a nice clean glow to make the interior classy and not "ricey"
We on the same wavelength here homie.

el wire, killarowa uses that alot in his car,
the blue ss sedan lives in hawaii i think with glow and agita, check his showoff thread , and i think he even made a how to

Sweet. Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'd love to help and give tips. send me a pm if ya like... even give you my cell for faster texts.... but my question is: is el wire the answer your looking for? Anyway, hit me up so I can help you with finishing touches, etc..... PIMPIN CHUUKESE!

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I'd love to help and give tips. send me a pm if ya like... even give you my cell for faster texts.... but my question is: is el wire the answer your looking for? Anyway, hit me up so I can help you with finishing touches, etc..... PIMPIN CHUUKESE!

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinking that it might be good for what I am looking for at this point. I'm not thinking of gluing on top of anything, but rather finding places to hide it where the light would be visible, but the wire would not be... If that makes any sense at all...

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Besides, it will be awhile before I do this, as I have another mod or two coming sooner. That you for the help offer. I am sure I will be taking you up on it.

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
I like the glow by the armrest. It appears to be el wire lining each side of it, but that's an idea. Maybe wire an led or two under it, so when it's down there's a bit of glow on the ebrake handle, etc... I really don't have anything for extra lighting anywhere in my interior, so this might be a good place to start.

·
Registered
821 Posts
To me... the light in the picture could be from either an led or el wire.... but its hidden behind a thin sheet of plastic or vinyl to diffuse the light and soften it a bit.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

*ahem... or the light source is simply and COMPLETELY hidden behind the console plastic, and that's just excess light shining through the crack.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.