Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a soundstream amp that puts out [email protected] ohms. I'm gonna hook this up to my 2 10" alpine type r's that are in a dual sealed enclosure .85 cubic ft per chamber.

Can my stock electrical system handle this much juice?

I have a 08 ls coupe.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes it can, but with some problems. Since the system has such a high need for power it'll drain power from the rest of your car every time your subs hit. If your playing it loud enough it gets really bad and looks like you got a light show going on from your car. Your headlights, gauges, and any other lights will dim every time it hits. A fix for the is getting something called a capacitor. IT kind of like a serperate battery for your system(in common man terms, its a tiny bit more complicated then that)(not really)(whatever) You can go to your local best buy and pick one up, They should have Rocksford Fosgate capcitors, which i think are one of the best brand for car audio you can buy right now. There very easy to install, but if you completely inclined in the electrical area im sure the guys at beswt buy can do it for you. Its a good investment i reccomend getting a cap, but to answer your quesdtion again, your stock system can run it but your head lights will dim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Well, Would running 500-600wrms cause any problems?

I had this system before I bought my Cobalt so it's not really tailored for my vehicle.

I'm thinking off just getting 1 12" with about 500wrms to it.

Can I still keep the stock cd player and get decent sound?

·
Registered
159 Posts
A capacitor stores energy and discharges it when needed. IE when the sub hits hard it discharges the energy so it doesn't make the lights go dim...downside...if the subs hit continuously then the capacitor doesn't have time to recharge itself so the alternator is running it's ass off so the battery while start to vent. That's the problem I'm havin and I only have a Rockford Fosgate 300.2 Punch Amp, 2 12" JL Audio W1's, 0.5 Farad Capacitor, and a Kenwood Touch Screen. I'm about to put a Optima Yellow Top in the car so that should help with the venting.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A capacitor stores energy and discharges it when needed. IE when the sub hits hard it discharges the energy so it doesn't make the lights go dim...downside...if the subs hit continuously then the capacitor doesn't have time to recharge itself so the alternator is running it's ass off so the battery while start to vent. That's the problem I'm havin and I only have a Rockford Fosgate 300.2 Punch Amp, 2 12" JL Audio W1's, 0.5 Farad Capacitor, and a Kenwood Touch Screen. I'm about to put a Optima Yellow Top in the car so that should help with the venting.

There is always going to be some type of problem it will never run perfect, unless you got a seperate battery just for the system. Theres only so much you can do before you need a seperate one.

And as for running off your stuff stero, that wont work. You can not hook a sub up to your stock head unit, you will need to buy an after market unit.
And i wouldnt recommend running a sub with the stock speakers, simply because they arnt loud enough. Im very picky with sound quality idn how you are, but i cant stand cars with subs and no after market speakers, but it can and will work with the stock speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.