Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has asked me to install a sub and amp into her 2007 Cobalt. I plan to install the amp in the trunk, but the sub box is such that there is no way to get all four mounting tabs of the amp (Sony XM-ZR1252) onto the box. I am looking for an alternate location to mount the amp that won't be too much in the way of using what's left of the trunk. What have others here done? I'd rather not fasten it to the back of the folding seats, either, although I have seen that done in another post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are two connection points on the back of the box. One for the speakers, and one for the lights. The location and size of these connection ports prevent me from placing the amp on the back of the box as I had planned. If I move the amp upwards, it sticks up too far and won't slide into the trunk. This amp is stupidly long and wide for its power output, in my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deck lid sounds interesting, although I wonder how the heat would dissipate up there. The top of the sub box, nor its sides are a possibility, however.

·
Registered
114 Posts
could you not attach the wires to the box and then mount the amp over them, thats what we did on my friends rx-8, granted the ports were pushed back a little

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hadn't thought of that - that might be a good option, especially since I did buy rubber standoffs to help isolate the amp from the vibrations to some degree.

could you not attach the wires to the box and then mount the amp over them, thats what we did on my friends rx-8, granted the ports were pushed back a little

·
Registered
114 Posts
that would be the only besides the top of the box depending on how big it is. i'm getting rdy to put an amp in my balt, just something simple a L5 kicker 12" and a 1000 watt rockford

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have heard that attaching the amp to the sub box is a bad idea. I guess that the vibrations from the subs that are felt on the box can be damaging to an amp. I personally have had no problems when I had amps attached to the box but to be on the safe side I have my amps attached to the back of the rear seats

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the problem is cold soldered joints. If the amp is done right, this should not be an issue. I'm aware of this, and I have rubber isolators in hand. If it fries, it fries, it was only $80. I'll get her a new one and try again.

I have heard that attaching the amp to the sub box is a bad idea. I guess that the vibrations from the subs that are felt on the box can be damaging to an amp. I personally have had no problems when I had amps attached to the box but to be on the safe side I have my amps attached to the back of the rear seats

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I have seen the amp hanging from the rear deck in the trunk just above the sub. He used like thin cable.. Just a thought

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up mounting it on the back of the sub box, partially obscuring the LED power connectors. Seems to fit well there, sitting on 4 rubber vibration isolators.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have a 2000 watt amp with 2 1500 mtx subs and never had any issues with my amp being mounted on the back of the sub. It makes it easier for storage and makes the system all in one. i always drive with my seats down cuz the system is so loud. i guess attaching to the rear seats would work but who wants to put wholes in their rear seats.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 2000 watt amp with 2 1500 mtx subs and never had any issues with my amp being mounted on the back of the sub. It makes it easier for storage and makes the system all in one. i always drive with my seats down cuz the system is so loud. i guess attaching to the rear seats would work but who wants to put wholes in their rear seats.
wow how'd did you fit that in your trunk? ive gotta see pics lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
looks good, ive only got the one l5 solo baric but i also have be able to fit a stroller back there at the same time lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice. I was taken by surprise last night when I discovered the sub box would not go into the trunk from the back :laugh: Good thing the rear seats fold down. Even then, it just barely made it, height-wise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.