Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok people, i know you're tired of seeing me crawling all over the forums...but i have no life till college starts, sorry. but anyway, to the point. its insanely hot outside, 98 today with probably 60% humidity or higher. my amp gets so hot and it wont turn on of course, but i can't use it till at night...it doesnt work till around 7pm. i was wondering if and of you have had the same problem and maybe found some sort of solution? as the most i can do it remote start my car and let it run for 10 minutes to cool it off. any ideas = much appreciation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What kind of amp do you have? It may be time for an upgrade if its overheating like that. Also, how do you have it wired? You may be putting too much power to it.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Where is the amp located, does it have ample ventilation. Was out in New Mexico over Memorial Day Weekend with 100 degree plus temps and mine worked fine.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hifonics brutus 1208D. i've got two 2ohm subs hooked up in a 2ohm load. its in the trunk. i dont have any window tint, and the amp is pretty much brand new. its hot enough to shut off before i even turn on the car. as in...its that hot to the touch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wait ur amp isnt in your trunk? I would suggest putting it on the back of your seats or on your box. It gets hot here too, but my amp never shuts off. Check your wiring and move it to your trunk and I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
mine does this all the time in the summer. Basiclly its just too hot. What i usally do is keep the seats folded down from the trunk for more air flow.

if you really want o fix it you can hook up some little computer fans to blow onthem. The computer fans are 12V so they can hook right up to the cig lighter. Also what else you can do it relocate you amp to under one of the front seats. This would be good if you dont have anyone in your back seats. Reason being is because you can just kick on the Ac full blast on floor. And youll have nice cold air blowing on the amp.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
And also, you can built an amp rack and hang it from the roof of the trunk so that the amp has air completly surrounding it. When its on the seats or on the sub it doesnt get as much air.

And also also. When i first got my system hooked up, my amp would do this all the time. I thought it was overheating. It was a blown fuse, and bad wiring. Fixed that, then my interior amp started doing it like a year later. Turned out to be a blown tweeter. Are you sure the thing is voerheating?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait ur amp isnt in your trunk? I would suggest putting it on the back of your seats or on your box. It gets hot here too, but my amp never shuts off. Check your wiring and move it to your trunk and I think you will be fine.
it IS in the trunk

And also, you can built an amp rack and hang it from the roof of the trunk so that the amp has air completly surrounding it. When its on the seats or on the sub it doesnt get as much air.

And also also. When i first got my system hooked up, my amp would do this all the time. I thought it was overheating. It was a blown fuse, and bad wiring. Fixed that, then my interior amp started doing it like a year later. Turned out to be a blown tweeter. Are you sure the thing is voerheating?
and i know its good as far as being hooked up cuz i got the shop to install it. it's already hot to the touch BEFORE its even turned on. its just hot as balls out here in the TX

·
Registered
23 Posts
something is definately not right. I live in AZ so its pretty damn hot out here and i have never had this problem. U really need to look at ur wiring. Just because a shop installed it doesnt mean its correct. U may be sending constant power to it which is causing it to heat up and its also killing your battery.

·
Registered
114 Posts
might want to check and make sure your amp is mounted the right way. and worse case you can always fab up some fans to go back there lol.

but ive got two ampa in my trunk running and dont have any issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.