Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, can(should?) someone who doesnt always have extra cash lying around(finishing my mech. engineering degree), and also doesnt have a ton of experience working on engine internals and such, own an older/classic car as a daily driver?

I worry about things like getting parts and getting repairs done if Im not able to do them myself. I know gas mileage could suck as well, but I dont worry about that as much. Im told something like a more standard 60s Mustang would have tons of parts available at least...any others that might be more realistic come to mind?

Ive just always wanted a late 40s truck or one of many coupes Im a fan of from the 60s and 70s.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Anyone can own any car. If you want it, and can afford it, get it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
pick up a nova, theres tons of aftermarket and you can get them relatively cheap compared to the over done chevelle or Camaro. You should have far less problems with an older car than a new one because at least on a chev its 3 wires and youre up and running. Fuel mileage isn't as bad as a lot of people would like you to believe.

If you do look at mustangs pick up something 1970 and older, the 71-73 mustangs are ugly as sin and were notorious for rotting out. Your best value in a mustang would probably be a 65 since the 67-70 mustangs are the most sought after.

Of course theres other nice older cars/trucks (ford galaxy 500, C10, pretty much any and all Plymouth's but theyre highly sought after)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My dad has a 1971 Nova SS. People always ask if its a chevelle because surprisingly a lot of people have never heard of a nova before.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
65' chevelle soft top!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

69' galaxy's are sexy too

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
stay away from big blocks. rule of thumb, big block = big money. Although the 396 and 390 big blocks are amazing.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do love me some GTOs...and Batmobiles as long as it wasnt the one carrying around George Clooney. haha

Im leaning pretty strongly towards a 65-67 Mustang since theyre so available and parts are all over it seems. I cant stop checking out trucks too though. I love both 50s and early 60s Ford and Chevy trucks, but have never been a truck owner and dont know if Ill get sick of the limited seating and such.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
don't do it

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im liking some of the 73 Chargers Im seeing... Id prob start with one with the small block 318 since they seem to be so readily available and have a good amount of aftermarket mods, plus tons of room to work under the hood, but maybe later on down the road either build it up or go with a crate engine of some sort.(Ive got a lot to learn first though)

I dont think Id even mind the automatic transmission since it would be more of a daily driver although I have missed driving a stick shift from time to time since getting my Cobalt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.