Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this has been happening for a while but it's not affecting braking performance...
Almost every single time I release the brake pedal there is a quick, high pitched squeak that only lasts the duration of the release of the pedal.

I have cleaned the rear brake drums before and it stopped it for about a week and then it started again.

Again, this has not affected car performance but it is so annoying and unattractive for my car...

I have no ideas on what is causing this so any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance =)

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
remove your caliper as if you were changing your pads. I guarantee the backing plate on the pad is dry. The pad moves a little under certain conditions and this is what you're hearing. Grab some brake pad lube from autozone/krage/orielly/napa/pep boys and apply a good bit to the contact area's on the back of the pad.

should fix your problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Omfg, this is my EXACT same problem. I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but since I'm gonna do this, should I replace my rotors at the same time? Aren't they just behind the brake calipers?

·
Registered
227 Posts
got the same exact problem

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Omfg, this is my EXACT same problem. I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but since I'm gonna do this, should I replace my rotors at the same time? Aren't they just behind the brake calipers?
you shouldn't have to, if your pads have a good amount if life, don't even bother replacing them. the dab of anti-squeal should do the trick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
you shouldn't have to, if your pads have a good amount if life, don't even bother replacing them. the dab of anti-squeal should do the trick.
Woops, I guess I should have explained WHY I want to change my rotors, lmao.. sorry, I was in a hurry. My car shakes when I brake ~40+ now, used to be ~60+ (mph), and I was told to change my rotors. I was asking here because I'm not sure where the rotors are located in relation to the brake calipers, but if they're in the same place then I might as well, ya know?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Woops, I guess I should have explained WHY I want to change my rotors, lmao.. sorry, I was in a hurry. My car shakes when I brake ~40+ now, used to be ~60+ (mph), and I was told to change my rotors. I was asking here because I'm not sure where the rotors are located in relation to the brake calipers, but if they're in the same place then I might as well, ya know?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had this problem a couple of months ago...I would re-surface the rotors first
After I had my rotors re-surfaced braking was back to normal

But yeah definitely try resurfacing before buying brand new rotors...it would save some money and time

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had this problem a couple of months ago...I would re-surface the rotors first
After I had my rotors re-surfaced braking was back to normal

But yeah definitely try resurfacing before buying brand new rotors...it would save some money and time
Did you resurface them yourself or did you have it done? And how much did it cost you?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
they have to be put on a lather and turned. if your rotors are removed from the car, it can be done cheap. If not, it's somewhat expensive because the mechanic has to remove them from the car then turn them.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you resurface them yourself or did you have it done? And how much did it cost you?
I had them done by a friend of mine...
It will just depend on who does it for you when looking at prices but it should well under $100 easily so its not too expensive to have done

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.