Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying an air intake however I must decide on which one. I have a 2.4L Ecotec LE5. Naturally I should go with the K&N 69-4517ttk, it is designed for the 2.4L and claims to boost your horsepower by nearly 16 @ 5900 RPMs. K&N's website also offers a 2.2L version that only boasts a 6.6 HP increase at 4800 RPMs. That seems to be quite a difference. Another Air intake I haven't seen mentioned on the forums is the official General Motors part # 17800653, their website claims it is compatible with both 2.2L and 2.4L engines but doesn't make any horsepower claims. So, does the larger engine naturally work better with the Intake or is the intake itself produce extra horses? Lastly, does anyone have experience with the GM version? Out of Injen, K&N and GM which is best? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The K&N for the 2.4 is almost identical to the one for the 2.2. The gains will not be that much more drastic. I would say closer to the 6hp gain.

I don't have experience with either the K&N or the GMPP, but I wouldn't get GMPP unless your main goal is to keep your warranty intact for sure. I would get the K&N out of those two. I have an Injen. I used it in the SRI (Short Ram Intake) position for a couple weeks. It had decent power and was nice and loud. A little better throttle response from a stop. Then I switched it to CAI (cold air intake) and it's got better response up top and doesn't seem to be as loud. I don't know if that's because it's farther away from the cabin now or if it really isn't as loud. I really like the Injen a lot and even though I have only had it for a couple months, I recommend it.

There are also AEM and Fujita who make intakes (not totally sure if they are for the 2.4 as well as the 2.2, but most intakes made for one are going to work for the other).

The larger displacement will probably show a little better gains for each mod when you compare them mod to mod...say a 2.2 and a 2.4 both have the same intake, header, dp, exhaust. I'm sure the 2.4 will gain a little more power than the 2.2.

It's really up to what you want to try and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
THe GMPP Performance Exhaust will not provide an increase in HP like the K&N will. I had the GMPP intake and replaced it with the K&N 2.4L and you could hear the difference right away. The GMPP intake has a small opening (close to 2 3/8" at the end of the plastic part that sits on the TB -- it is smaller than the TB opening)!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
idk about the k&n 2.4.... but i love my 2.2 k&n. it seems to have a bigger tube than other 2.2 intakes. but since ive moved to the portland area, i find myself wishing i had the full cai intake option. engine temps get higher than id like in stop and go traffic. around 225 sometimes in hot weather.

·
Registered
317 Posts
THe GMPP Performance Exhaust will not provide an increase in HP like the K&N will.
wow and this whole time i thought by intake he meant intake, but now i understand that he was comparing the gmpp exhaust and the k&n intake that makes sense....... not

·
Registered
720 Posts
^The most informative post here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.